Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Always spikes with Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Adapter, help?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zusy

zusy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

Hi, i'm hoping for some advice. I'm using wifi, and there are 10 other apartmens in the building. The building have three routers or so. I'm not sure which card I'm using, as it only says Qualcomm Atheros AR938x Adapter in the device manager, but I think it's a TP LINK N900 WDN4800.

The last month i've been having issues spikes and it doesnt matter if its day or night. Typical ping in cmd is 9, 9, 13, 458, 234, 21, 9, 9, 500, 340, 30, 9, 9ms all the time. The speed is 30 down and 10 up in speedtests, and before it was completely fine with no lag, except when people were downloading a lot. 

I've tried updating the network driver, turning off firewalls, connecting to other network (normal instead of 5ghz) but nothing seems to work. 

The ms on my laptop is fine (same network, same distance to router), also when playing games. Mostly around 40ms, sometimes 80-90 and rarely 200. So the problem is only on my computer, not my laptop. I tried to disable the wifi on my computer and i'm now bridging (?) through the laptops wifi. This works and the ms is now okay'ish, but many games does not seem to like this and the games keep crashing. And sometimes I get "request timed out" in cmd. So it's not really a good solution on long term..

What I CANT do is connect to the router using a cable because the slots on the router are taken, and the router is pretty far away from my apartment. Not _that_ far away, but it's difficult to run a cable. Another thing is that I do not have access to the network settings. I've talked to my landlord, noone else seems to have this problem.

Anyone got any ideas? :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

What I CANT do is connect to the router using a cable because the slots on the router are taken

if you are able to run a cable you could buy a small switch that would solve this problem,

remove ONE of the connections to the router, plug the new switch into that port,

then plug the cable you removed into the new switch along with your new cable

#3 zusy

zusy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:08 AM

What I CANT do is connect to the router using a cable because the slots on the router are taken

if you are able to run a cable you could buy a small switch that would solve this problem,

remove ONE of the connections to the router, plug the new switch into that port,

then plug the cable you removed into the new switch along with your new cable

Thanks for the reply :) its a bit difficult since the router is placed directly above an other apartment's front door, and I really don't want to bother him with placing a cable in the way. But it could work if I cant fix it any other way. 

However I'm not sure what those other cables in the router are for (the ones taking up all the slots) except my neighbour is using one of them. I guess the other 2-3 slots are for the other routers in the building? Will a switch interrupt these? I don't want my landlord to get complaints from my neighbours (if i ruin something) and find that I've messed with the router :\ 

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

its probably best you identify what the other cables are doing before you monkey around with them, but my educated guess would be they are for other peoples connections

maybe you could post a picture of the router setup/cables

Edited by mikey11, 31 August 2017 - 11:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users