Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

My Computer Is Running So Slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ashton_r

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

I have a windows 98 computer and ever since I unhooked it, it has been running super slow. i got a new winxp, but the pc is running slow ad i need to transfer the files from that one to this one, it takes about minute to run any programs. what am i doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hi, ashton_r: I think the following topic will help you if you want to resolve a problem with slowness.

Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist

Good-luck. :thumbsup:

#3 Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:12 PM

I'm wondering if it isn't still trying to connect to Comcast. Open up your task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and see if you can see something like that running in the background. This is similar to a problem that we used to have if Norton Antivirus was removed and the Liveupdate feature had not been removed. It would continuously run in the background instead of doing its job and closing. (This comes under the heading of "Review applications that self-launch on startup.")

#4 fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

curious, what did you unhook it from?
everyday is a gift

#5 Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

Chances are pretty good that there is a process running in the background that is causing your computer to slow down. If you press ctrl+alt+delete you can see all the processes running on your PC. The third and fourth colums of this list (CPU and Memory Usage) are the most important ones. The higher the number in these columns, the more resources a particular program is using, and themoreresources a program uses, the slower your computer becomes. Check through the list and see which programs have the highest numbers in those colums. Thoseare the one's that are slowing your system down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users