Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 10 not recognizing USB External SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doucet777

Doucet777

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

I have a Dell M4800 laptop that has been running Windows 7 with an internal Samsung SSD 850 EVO drive. I work between my office and home and use an external USB hard drive enclosure that also has a Samsung SSD 850 EVO that contains client data to use with my home computer as well (Window 7). This situation has worked flawlessly for over a year and allows me to leave my laptop at work.I recently decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and did a fresh install on my M4800 laptop.

I performed a Windows update and went to Dell.com to get the latest drivers. When I plug in or boot with the external hard drive, the computer slows down and the drive is dropped within a few minutes with the error “USB device not recognized”. Once in awhile the system stays stable long enough for me to briefly view the external drive in Device Manager and it is displayed as: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G SCSI Disk Device which is strange because on my Windows 7 computer it is: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G USB Device. Why is Windows 10 is reading the external USB drive as SCSI?

I am on day 7 and have tried just about everything to resolve the issue - updating drivers, disabling power off to external USB devices, etc. The external USB enclosure is an Orico and is plug and play. I had considered purchasing another enclosure that requires a driver to “force” Windows 10 to see it but there has to be a workaround since I use the drive on multiple systems without any problems.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

Download DeviceCleanupCMD. Unzip the file to a folder on the desktop. Copy the X64 folder in the unzipped folder to the root of C:

Open an elevated command prompt. The new versions of Windows 10 uses powershell but you can change back to command prompt using this method.

Open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X, command prompt as Administrator.

Type the following

cd C:\X64
devicecleanupcmd *

If you want to keep powershell the commands would be

cd C:\X64
.\devicecleanupcmd *

This will remove all non-present plug and play devices. Do the command with the SSD detached. Reboot and attach the SSD. Does it still have a problem?

Sometimes plug and play drivers can conflict. 

#3 Doucet777

Doucet777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

Thanks JohnC_21,

I followed your instructions but unfortunately the drive dropped again. It still displayed "SCSI Device" in Device Manager and under Universal Serial Bus controllers there is an exclamation point next to: Unkown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

I think this may be an enclosure issue. Other than booting a live linux disk and determining if this is Windows 10 or hardware related that's all I have.

If you do decide to boot a live linux disk try Mint Cinnamon. You can burn the iso on any Windows 7 or later computer to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you have a spare USB flash drive use Rufus with the iso file. 

Note: When Mint is booting it will ask for input in some places. Don't input anything. Just let it boot to the desktop. Attach your SSD. Click Computer on the Desktop and you will see your SSD external in the left pane as a USB device. Double click and the Drive should mount and allow you to explore the drive. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/   Run Rufus from the Desktop and leave all boxes as checked. Select iso image in the dropdown box if you see FreeDos. Press Start.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2017 - 02:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users