Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to get system restore HP 500 Desktop?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

So this pc is not booting to windows and the owner wants a system restore, since none of the F keys or usual ESC e.t.c keys are working , any way to get to the Advanced Options please?

When I power on it first shows the logo screen then 'A disk read error occured. Press ctrl+Alt+del to restart". When I do the next screen shows this "critical process died". Researching this on the net is showing:

http://windowsreport.com/critical-process-died-windows-10/

but since I cannot get into windows, what can I try please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

I would first type Esc at boot and select System Diagnostics to rule out a hardware problem. 

I doubt you can get to Advanced Boot Options with a disk read error but sometimes it's possible using the following method.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

boot it with a windows 10 bootable cd or usb stick,

if you dont have one, create one

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:10 PM

Ok, I am first starting with the Diagnostics, running that now. Meantime there is the System Recovery option, if I should that won't it give me a System Restore option?

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

Ok, I am first starting with the Diagnostics, running that now. Meantime there is the System Recovery option, if I should that won't it give me a System Restore option?

system recovery normally means a reformat and reinstall of windows.....which will wipe out all of your stored/saved data

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:29 PM

I would first type Esc at boot and select System Diagnostics to rule out a hardware problem. 

I doubt you can get to Advanced Boot Options with a disk read error but sometimes it's possible using the following method.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

I am aware of this John and had tried that before posting here, doesn't work in this case because I don't always get the rotating circle option.

boot it with a windows 10 bootable cd or usb stick,

if you dont have one, create one

I have a win10 bootable disk, are you saying I will get and can run the system restore from the disk?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

If you are talking about recovering from a System Restore point vs a Reset with the option to keep files I believe Windows 10 disables System Restore by default. At least it used to.

http://howdoicomputer.com/2015/07/why-is-system-restore-turned-off-in-windows-10-and-how-to-switch-it-back-on-again/

If a restore point is not available you can copy the registry hives from C:\Windows\System32\config\regback  to the hives in the config folder if the hives in Regback have a date later than the problem. First rename the hives in config. You can use the command prompt from a bootable Windows 10 disk to do this or a live linux disk.

See this video on the procedure using a command prompt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABI3DAhqwfo

Edit: Yes you can access system restore from the Windows install disk. Select Repair Computer at the Windows with the link and you will get the Advanced Options.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

First off I m having problems booting off the disk. I disabled UEFI, saved and restarted, pressed a key to boot but it hangs at the windows logo then the screen goes black

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

Windows 10 should boot with UEFI enabled. HP lets you select Legacy Boot when you tap F9 at boot. Maybe you need to try a USB flash drive.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Tried booting the disk from an external DVD, same deal, not seeing why USB stick would be any different?

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,448 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

you may need to change the boot order in your bios and disable quick boot if you have that option,

sometimes at startup you can push one of the F keys to select a temporary boot drive,

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

Whenever the screen goes black I am seeing:

Auto Detect [Analog Input]

Cannot display this video mode

Optimum resolution 1440x900 60hz

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:26 PM

This seems more of a monitor issue that cannot display that resolution. It's as if the computer is still trying to boot from the HDD. What happens when you disconnect the drive. Does it boot from the install disk then?

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,549 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

With the HDD disconnected I can now get to the Advanced Options screen so I reconnected the drive and select System Restore but I am getting "This option is not supported on the operating system you've selected".

I tried with both 32 and 64 bit versions of win10 Home.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

If you have a UBCD disk or Parted Magic boot it and select Disk Health on the desktop. Do the long and short generic tests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users