Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OldSalt48

OldSalt48

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:24 AM

I have a Dell  Dimension E-520 running MS 10 that a friend gave me. He had had some problem booting and tried to get to a recovery point but there were none. The next thing he said he did was a system reset. Here is where the problem is. When I try to boot I get a blue screen with RECOVERY at the top, below that a message stating "The operating system cannot be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors." There is an error code 0xc0000221 which I went online and found a repair kit for that error, downloaded, burnt it to a disc but the PC will not read the CD-ROM drive. I have an MS 7 installation disc but when I try to boot from the ROM drive I get the error "Selected boot device not available-" can anyone give me an idea as to what I can do (if anything) to get this PC up and running?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

If this is a bootable disk you will need to enter the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order so that your DVD/CD drive is the first device and you hdd/ssd the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

I have done that...the trouble I am having is that the system is failing to read from the ROM drive.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Since you haven't provided a link to the website where you downloaded this file I have no idea if this is a bootable disk or not.  If this isn't a bootable disk you shouldn't need to change the boot order.  If you post the website link I would be better prepared to assist you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

"...downloaded, burnt it to a disc but the PC will not read the CD-ROM drive..."

"...Selected boot device not available..."

Adding to the advice already given, OldSalt, does the CD/DVD reader/writer work flawlessly with other CDs or DVDs?  While the writing operations appear to be working great, remotely possible is that the reading operations has troubles.  Have you already tried burning the ISO onto a flash drive and booted said flash drive?  There might be also a hardware reason for the laptop being drop-kicked to you.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 August 2017 - 12:41 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:09 PM

To Tree Hugger -  this is the address to the site that I downloaded the Repair Kit file from.

To RolandJS-I cannot get the CD/DVD drive to operate Period. It seems as though once this blue screen comes up that is as far as I can get. My concern is that it appears the OS is not loading at all, what ever is missing in the kernel must be preventing any of the other hardware to operate.

Just a heads up------Evidently the above link contains a trojan  I have deleted it.    DO NOT USE IT!

Edited by OldSalt48, 31 August 2017 - 07:50 AM.

#7 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have had to use my laptop to acquire all the info and repair kits. The desktop that I referring to here simply will not boot. It is a paperweight right now. LOL

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

I would suggest doing a Refresh.  This installs Windows 10 with the option to keep your personal files.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

OldSalt, sorry for the rabbit trail, I should have realized you were using a 2nd computer to write ISOs onto a DVD.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

Tree Hugger, I will burn a creation Tool to a USB Drive and try that. Nothing is happening with the CD-ROM drive at all. I will try swapping out the CD/DVD drive later and get back to you with the results.of that. If that doesn't work I have a couple of HP desktops lying around and I might be able to swap out the hard drive. This has me at a loss!

#11 OldSalt48

OldSalt48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

Great news! I was able to boot from the USB drive and did a reinstall. Now all I need is to get a new product code so as to get Windows activated. I am still at a loss as to why I could not access the CD/DVD drive but all is well and working now. Thank you all for your help.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

If this computer previously had an authenticated copy of Win 10 on it you won't need to re-authenticate, it happens automatically with Win 10.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

Tree Hugger, I will burn a creation Tool to a USB Drive and try that. Nothing is happening with the CD-ROM drive at all. I will try swapping out the CD/DVD drive later and get back to you with the results.of that. If that doesn't work I have a couple of HP desktops lying around and I might be able to swap out the hard drive. This has me at a loss!

When you install a Windows operating system on a hdd or ssd one of the last aspects of the installation is a search for the drivers the operating system will need to boot into Windows.  If you take a hdd/ssd with a Windows operating system installed in one computer and move the hdd/ssd to another computer which isn't an exact duplicate of the motherboard and its components it will fail to boot in most cases.  If it does boot the operating system usually will begin to have problems which could require reinstalling the operating system.

If you generalize a hdd/ssd it will take the operating system back to the state where it will search for the needed drivers for the motherboard.  If you run sysprep on the HHD/SSD with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 before using it with another motherboard you should be be able to boot from it without any complications.

Press the windows key windows-key.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin.) from the menu.  This will open the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown in the Command Prompt.

Once you have completed this shut down the computer and do not power the drive back on until it has been installed with the different motherboard.

Note: You'll want to install the new motherboard chipset drivers for the new motherboard after moving the drive.

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

Hi, never heard of that technique Tree Hugger it may well work. BTW since creators the default from win+ x is now powershell, no command prompt (you can get it back in settings, although I doubt many would have). Also calling it the mobility center menu might be confusing as only mobile devices have mobility center active, it is off by default on desktops (you can mod the registry, to get it, if you want).

The way we do this is to use shift+F10  when you reach the installing windows phase, opens a cmd prompt.

Edited by jenae, 31 August 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

Hi, never heard of that technique Tree Hugger it may well work. BTW since creators the default from win+ x is now powershell, no command prompt (you can get it back in settings, although I doubt many would have). Also calling it the mobility center menu might be confusing as only mobile devices have mobility center active, it is off by default on desktops (you can mod the registry, to get it, if you want).

The way we do this is to use shift+F10  when you reach the installing windows phase, opens a cmd prompt.

I'm aware of this. 

To switch the option back from Windows PowerShell (Admin)  press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the I to open Settings., then select Personalization, then Taskbar.

Or you can press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the R to open the Run box.  When the Run box opens type in cmd and press Enter.  You will need to be using an administrator account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users