Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover forgotten windows 10 password

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lawdy

lawdy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

Is there a program available or any way that I can get into the computer that will allow me to recover my forgotten windows 10 password. I did not create a Microsoft flash drive saving the password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

Is this for a strictly local Windows 10 user account or for one that is linked to a Microsoft Account?

If it's for a Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 User Account you can log in to your Microsoft Account to change the password.  If you've forgotten the Microsoft Account password you should have been prompted when you set it up to create password recovery options for it and you can use the "Forgot Password" link to get started as far as resetting that password.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.
              ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,127 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

For a local account password you can use Lazesoft Recover Password Home. You will need to install and run on another computer to create the bootable media. Only enable the hidden Administrator Account and use that to change the password in your regular account. You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings if enabled in order to boot the CD/USB flash drive.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-reset-administrator-password.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2017 - 11:56 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,964 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

I'm glad to know there's something that can be used to reset local Windows 10 user account passwords, as I was not familiar with any utility that did so.

I sincerely hope that folks start looking at the PIN or biometric options if they're inclined to forget a password or as a backup to a password.  Eventually we are going to arrive at the state where security is such that these sorts of password breaking/resetting utilities will no longer be able to function.  I'm certainly glad that they do as of this writing, since most folks have physical control over their computers, but were someone to have a computer stolen it does allow unauthorized access.

If not that, then using a password manager like Password Safe and its Android and iOS clones would be helpful, but you need to remember the password you set up to your "vault."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

A man's worst difficulties begin when he is able to do as he likes.
              ~ Thomas H. Huxley (1876)

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:51 PM

Rather than biometrics, which can go wrong, arguably the best thing is to write down on paper the windows login password. But make sure this paper is locked away in a safe and far from the computer in question. Although better still is to pick a memorable password so you won't forget it, making sure it is fairly long and contains some numbers/capitalisation/special characters and is not a dictionary word or common name.

The overall message to take away from the ease of resetting a windows password, and from the fact that booting a live USB will usually let you browse and edit files on a PC without needing a password, is that for files which need to be kept safe a windows password isn't enough. Rather private files should be placed into encrypted archive folders (7z/rar/equivalents)(using a password which the user will need to memorise and keep very safe and must never forget otherwise they've no hope of ever getting into the encrypted folders).This way even if someone can get past the windows password they still can't get into the encrypted archive files.

Edited by rp88, 15 September 2017 - 12:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users