Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Custom gaming rig having issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tmose

tmose

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

A little over a year ago I built a new PC for VR gaming (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pBsVsY) I have also added a USB card and a sound card. I basically use this system exclusively for VR gaming and a little standard gaming. Recently I have had some strange crashes but have started to notice other issues. When I try to put the computer to sleep the system freezes up. Shutting down the computer has always worked until last night where is seemed to just be restarting instead of shutting down. Lastly, my mobo sound doesn't seem to work. I have tested the speakers and they are fine but cannot get sound through the mobo. I do get sound through the video card so I have sound on my headset or my TV but not my external speakers. I am not sure what is going on but hopefully someone here can help. I hope I put this in the right place to post this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

for your sound:

you have to go into the sound properties and enable the speaker output.

right click on the speaker in the task bar and select playback devices

you probably have multiple items listed but only the usb audio device is enabled.  you need to make sure you pc speaker are enabled also.

if they are then left click on the volume control again and select mixer under the volume control and see if the slider is up for the pc speakers.

when you click the speaker it only shows the default item that's selected in the properties, that's why you need to hit the mixer to get to the rest of the controls.

#3 tmose

tmose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

I think I have tried that before but will give it a shot tonight when I get off work. thanks for the response. Any idea whats going on with restarting and shutting down?

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

do you close application/games when not using your computer?  leaving apps open can cause shut down to hang and going to sleep issues.  other than that you

could do some maintenance stuff:

cleaning cache files

deleting windows temp folders

ccleaner does a good job at this, but don't use the registry cleaner it could cause an unexpected failure from removing something it shouldn't have.

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

When I try to put the computer to sleep the system freezes up

If this is a desktop there's no reason to put it to sleep. I looked at your specs so I'm sure it isn't a laptop.

Shutting down the computer has always worked until last night where is seemed to just be restarting instead of shutting down

That might indicate there's a problem Windows is trying to fix that requires a restart to complete.

.  you need to make sure you pc speaker are enabled also.

You also need to set them as default.

Edited by HyperHenry, 30 August 2017 - 09:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users