Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 spell checker

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

I have no spell check function is Windows 10 Home.

I'm wondering if the spell check function in Windows 10 Home, Edge Browser was ever fixed.

I've researched and found that people have been complaining about it for a long time. I know about the Settings>Devices>Typing>where auto correct and highlight can be turned on or off. But that doesn't fix anything. I still do not seem to have a spell checker in Facebook or anywhere else. It underlines words but does not produce a popup list on right click. Neither does it auto correct. I've tried lots of different slight misspellings that any spell checker should catch, but it does nothing except underline. No popup list at all and no auto correction.

I've run a sfc /scannow from an elevated prompt and found no issues.

This is a brand new install, from an iso that came from Microsoft just a couple days ago. I've added a couple of free word processors (Jarte and Atlantis) just to check them out, and I've added Kaspersky Total Protection. There's been a few Microsoft updates. That's all I can think of.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Press the Windows key and the I key together to open Settings.

In settings select Devices, then select Typing.

Under Typing you should see two options, Autocorrect misspelled words and Highlight misspelled words.  Both of these should be On.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

Thanks. That did it.

But I miss being able to right click and fix that way. Plus it seems like this spell checker has an awfully small library to draw from. It underlines very simple misspellings and the user has to go to another page and look up the word. What are they thinking? Their old spell checker worked much better.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

What can I say, it is what it is.  Yes, the dictionary is pretty limited and you will have to add words to this if you wish to have the word available in Spell Check.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Yes, it is what it is. That much was never in doubt. I'm just not sure what it is.

On my Windows 10 Home, version 15063.540; there is no way to add anything to the dictionary. Surely that's another glitch. I haven't had time to worry with it.

Here, in this forum, the time everybody gives me is valuable and appreciated. So posting an opinion about a software company's internal processes is sort of an indulgence. I asked Microsoft Community why they abandoned a spellchecker that worked well and added one that is almost useless to their best software ever. It was in a follow-up from a question (last week) about why it wasn't functioning at all (the settings correction had already fixed it), where I also suggested adding a thesaurus function. He liked the thesaurus function idea but ignored the real issue. Thus the information geek is left without an answer.

Back to useful information;

Settings = both autocorrect on and highlight on.  I was experimenting with the right-click and discovered it actually is working - on a small % of misspelled words. Otherwise, I get nothing but the red line, with no further options. :thumbdown: 

Don

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

I'm guessing this line is a red squiggly line?

If this is what you are getting you should be able to right click on the word and a correct spelling usually will be presented.  I stated usually because the dictionary they use is limited in its vocabulary and may not have this word.  If this happens Google the word for a correct spelling.

#7 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

Yes, that's exactly what is happening.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

That is not unusual.

#9 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

Okay, but it's true 75% if the time. This spell checker is far inferior to the one they used with xp. This is just chat at this point, so I'm not asking for an answer. Just to express an opinion; it's damned odd that they'd replace a program that worked well with one that is almost useless.

Don

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

There is an alternative.  Most Web Browsers have spell checking.  You could turn off the Windows spell checker and use the one in your browser.  If you let me know which browser/s you are using I will provide you with instructions to enable it in your browser.  I can guarantee that it will be any better.

#11 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

Thank you. I tried to download something today, distracted and in a hurry, and wound up with yahoo powered and several other nasty things. After an all day fight I finally threw up my hands and did a fresh install. (Unistall/Change Programs somehow had become completely disabled and elevated cmd wouldn't fix it.)

I'm considering going with chrome browser. But I want to research a bit and be sure there's no problems with Windows 10 Home or Windows Defender. I had purchased Kaspersky, but then learned it is not compatible with microsoft's new browser, Edge. I like Edge okay, so far, and may just stick with it. That decision is part of deciding which way to go of course. I guess it's going to come down to whatever has the fewest problems with windows 10 and has a decent spell checker, etc.

#12 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:31 AM

Just for kicks, find a misspelling that autocorrect won't fix. Right click, over and over. On mine, even after a complete win 10 refresh, it will eventually open a dropdown list; After 10 or 15 clicks. I wonder if yours will. And I wonder how in the world one would program such behavior in an operating system.

Don

#13 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

I think I've figured it out. It's my mouse. I use a logitech trackball. Windows 10 doesn't like it. It all works fine, except the right-click function.

I've used it for about 7 years and it's always worked fine. It still does with other windows versions.

I went to logitech and updated the drivers. It made it even worse. So I went back to the previous driver. 

I downloaded kingsoft's Office (free). And trackball mouse works just fine in that program. But as soon as I go anywhere else it's back to the right-click problem.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

What is the model of this mouse?

I'm guessing this is used via a USB port, have you tried a different port?

I ran across on article where they were able to isolate a context menu extension and resolved their problem.

W10 - right click doesn't work on all items - Microsoft Community

#15 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

T-BC21 is the model

I will try a different USB port, but I checked Device Manager and it's all clear.

I'll go take a look at that article. Thanks!!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users