Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XP crash upgraded to Win 10 and Pictures are corrupted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Necral25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:07 AM

Hi Guys,

Had an odd turn of events that someone might know how to fix.

Had a computer running Win XP and suddenly stopped working, was on a serge protector and just stopped working, thinking it might have been the power supply. 

Bought a new computer with pre loaded Windows 10, I took the old hard drive from the XP computer and put it in a powered external drive case and plugged it in, most of the files are exactly as they were on the old PC. However some of the pictures, from the past 6 months or so are all showing fine in thumbnails but when opened have colored bars with all vertiacal or horizontal chopping up the image. 

I have tried the drive on a different machine to make sure it wasn't a new computer hardware issue and have tried opening the pictures in different programs and all turn the same.

When I switch the thumbnail to large view I see the distortion in the thumbnail as well.

When a picture opens it shows very briefly ( all be it a bit blurry) the original image without the bars. 

I have tried using Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery, but did not have any results.

Anything else I can try? Seems everything is still there just a small segment has been messed up, any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

1)  Make a backup copy of the drive immediately.  If that's too much data, then at least backup the photo's immediately.

Then, make another copy of the photos that you can work on - leaving the original and the backup copy alone.

2)  Make a post in the Graphics Design and Photo Editing forum located here:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/37/graphics-design-and-photo-editing/

ZIP up and upload one of the photo's (leave out any with identifying information) so that the helpers there can see exactly what the problem is.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Necral25

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

Appreciate the reply,I will make a copy of it asap and then have a workable copy as well

Taking a look at the graphics forum you have mentioned as well to see if there can be anything salvaged

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users