Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random computer freezes and sometimes won't boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DeadlyChef

DeadlyChef

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:21 AM

Hello,

This is my first post here and I greet every one of you who came to help.

Since a couple of days ago my pc started freezing randomly. For example as soon as I enter my

password on the windows login screen, it just keeps loading for hours but never finishes.

Sometimes it boots but freezes randomly during use not responding to any buttons and the only

thing that moves is my mouse cursor. Sometimes it just acts really slowly and sometimes it won't

boot. I get a disk read error and press ctrl+alt+del message to restart and it takes me like 10 tries

sometimes more to boot it. Sometimes it hangs on the starting windows screen before the OS is

even loaded. So what I did so far to troubleshoot it :

1. I changed my thermal paste thinking it is overheating issue but to no avail

2. I checked my ram using memtest+ from bootable usb, 0 errors it is all good

3. I downloaded a live linux installation to boot from USB and see if it would run fine ( indicating a HDD issue )

and this is where it gets interesting.

When I tried to run it this is what happened ( thought video is best to show it ) :

Right now I got it to boot by pressing F8 while booting and then selecting start windows normally

and I am writing from it. Below are my pc specs from speccy, just say if you need any additional

info.

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz 52 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASRock H81M-VG4 R3.0 (CPUSocket) 45 °C
Graphics
24GM77 (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 52 °C
Storage
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 39 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:41 AM

if you start it in safe mode will it run okay ?

#3 DeadlyChef

DeadlyChef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

If I get it to boot to safe mode yes, Also in regular windows if I get it to boot it mostly runs fine ( just slower ) but problem is it takes like 10-15 tries and I think I am damaging the rest of my hardware by hard rebooting so often ...

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

@DeadlyChef,

Since you can boot into Safe Mode, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

BTW, since this issue is most likely hardware related, please run these free hardware diagnostics. Please run them ALL and let us know the results. Anything you're not sure of, just let me know.

Regards.

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 DeadlyChef

DeadlyChef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hey, I do not actually have BSOD but computer freezes and I can't do anything on it. Am I maybe in the wrong section ? Could you move the thread then if needed ? =/

I tried to describe the problem as best as I could in first post.

And yeah I am pretty sure it's hardware related too. Do you have any idea what could be the cause ? I am thinking it's either the motherboard,GPU or PSU but I can't replace all of these parts..

Also my PSU is FSP500-60GHN (85)

Edited by DeadlyChef, 31 August 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

You're not in the wrong section, as we frequently deal with hardware here. This isn't just a BSOD forum, by the way, it's a Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support forum. :)

I believe your problem is PSU related. A GTX 970 requires at LEAST a 500 W or greater power supply. You're at the bare requirement in terms of PSU power. Coupled with an unknown (and most likely unreliable) PSU brand and the age of the PSU (I presume it's older since you're running Windows 7), there is an extremely high chance the PSU is at fault.

Anyway, I suggest you first try a different PCI slot for your GPU, if possible, and take a picture of the PSU voltages in the BIOS for me to inspect. In the meanwhile, I'd ask a friend for a test PSU OR buy a NEW PSU from a store that accepts returns without penalty, meaning that if a new PSU still gives you trouble, you could return it without a restocking fee, etc.

BTW, if your budget is tight and you'd like to confirm your PSU is really to blame, you could use a multimeter or PSU tester (look them up online) to confirm (even though the best test is still swapping PSUs). Just be careful though — you run the risk of serious injury due to electric shock or even death if you test a PSU incorrectly!

Edited by bwv848, 31 August 2017 - 04:13 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 DeadlyChef

DeadlyChef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

I just connected the monitor directly to the motherboard and the screen just flickers similarly as in the video and it won't boot... 

Also that is AFTER I just bought a new 600W PSU !!! So I guess it is my motherboard am I correct ? ...

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear that. Sincerely thought it was the PSU. If you remove your graphics card and put it on a different slot, does that help? What happens if you remove the graphics card completely, and use your on-board graphics?

#9 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Location:This tiny speck in the universe somewhere in the middle of time.

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Wow this is a good one.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#10 DeadlyChef

DeadlyChef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

I don't have another slot for my GFX. As I said the screen just flickers when connected directly to the MOBO.

So I returned the PSU to the store and bought a new MOBO, Bought a new HDD too just to be sure.

Just installed windows and it works flawlessly :)

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Glad to hear that your issue is resolved after a new motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users