Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Can't Start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Camille

Camille

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

My mom's laptop won't start. She was using it earlier, Microsoft Word to be exact then left on while she was cooking. When she went back to it it was shut down. After restarting it, she says the Desktop wizard came up saying she had unused desktop icons so she let it clean up the desktop. After going back to Word for a while, she says it shut down on her and when she tried rebooting it, this error came up...

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\drivers\ntfs.sys"

I tried restarting it in safe mode with and without command prompt and by using the last good configuration. It won't work. The error message comes up each time. There is no error number with it either.

Oh yes, it's a Windows XP

Edited by Camille, 16 September 2006 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:05 PM

This should work.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;304449

It is a system restore from command prompt via safety mode.

Edited by fleamailman, 16 September 2006 - 06:06 PM.

everyday is a gift

#3 Camille

Camille
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

Thank you! I'll try that. Before seeing that, I tried restarting it again and this time an error about the BIOS not bieing fully "ACPI" compliant.

EDIT:
I've tried what the link suggested and this comes up:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\drivers\ntfs.sys"
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original startup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Problem with that is, my mom doesn't have the original startup CD and won't be able to get it. It won't start in any mode at all without that error coming up and as far as I can see, there is no way to get past it.

Edited by Camille, 16 September 2006 - 08:14 PM.

#4 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:22 PM

Ok, I take it that it is XP home, yes, good now we need a XP home cd from your friend, the idea is:

repair the os.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Repair-Windows-XP-t138.html
everyday is a gift

#5 Camille

Camille
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

I don't remember if it's a home or professional..

How would I be able to get my hands on an XP home cd?

And thank you for that, i'll bookmark it for when I can get a cd.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:25 AM

It depends on the make and model of the laptop. You can usually order replacement CD's from the manufacturer for a small charge (Compaq charges about $15 US including shipping).

The laptop may have come with CD's, or it may have a second partition on the hard drive that contains the restoration data. Read the manual and look for terms like recovery or restore.

Also, before starting the restore - see if there's anything that you can do to backup the data (such as a Live Linux distro) - you may have to use an external (USB) drive to save the data to.

Then, when you attempt to restore - first look for a Repair or a non-destructive restore or recovery option. This will repair the system files without hosing the programs and data. If you have to do a full (or destructive) restore - this'll put the laptop back into the condition that it left the factory in.

In short, if you're not sure just post back and someone will be able to answer the questions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Camille

Camille
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:28 PM

I think I should explain about the laptop.. Harry, a friend of my moms, buys older computers and laptops from people and either fixes them or uses bits and pieces to make better ones, It's one of his many hobbies. This 2003 Inspiron was only infected with Ad/Spyware and at the time my mom needed a laptop so she went to him for advice on which to buy for what she needed. Instead of advice he gave her the laptop. It was working perfectly fine, everything was genuine and then.. this. He seems to have disappeared so she can't ask for the disk.

Anyway... there isn't much on the laptop so a full restore would be okay. But i'll try calling Dell and see what happens there.

Thank you John.

Edited by Camille, 17 September 2006 - 12:29 PM.

#8 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

does your laptop have a floppy drive? if so, go to the harddrive manufacturer's website and download a diagnostic to test your harddrive. the manufacturer may have a bootable cd diagnostic if you dont have a floppy. if you dont know the maker, try entering the bios and see if you can find the details there.

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users