Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to replace/fix broken keyboard connector attached to motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kushhman

Kushhman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

Looking to purchase a Lenovo x220 on ebay, but its keyboard connector attached to the motherboard is damaged. Anyone know a way to replace or fix this part?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:50 AM

A workaround would be to just use a USB keyboard.  That would be my preferred choice.

Louis

#3 Kushhman

Kushhman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

A workaround would be to just use a USB keyboard.  That would be my preferred choice.

Louis

Dang. So there's no way to repair or replace it ?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:47 AM

I did not say that...I was just pointing out what I considered obvious...I prefer to use USB mouse and keyboard with my laptop.

Hold on for suggestions from others :).

Louis

#5 Kushhman

Kushhman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

I did not say that...I was just pointing out what I considered obvious...I prefer to use USB mouse and keyboard with my laptop.

Hold on for suggestions from others :).

Louis

Right. Sorry about that haha :blush:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

If the connection between the connector and motherboard is broken then you would need an external keyboard. Sometimes a broken connection at the motherboard can prevent a computer from booting. If it's only the part of the connector that rotates and locks the ribbon cable to the connector sometimes a small plastic shim can be placed between the ribbon and the connector to keep it in place.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 August 2017 - 08:58 AM.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

doing component level repairs myself, this is what would have to happen.

it can be fixed!  - but not by yourself.  you need an expert that knows what he is doing.

and then whether you can find the connector is another problem.  most of the time you have to buy a dead donor board and remove the connectors from both boards and

install the donor connector on the working board.  While in the mean time hoping you don't over heat and destroy the donor connector while removing it.

it can be done, but finding someone that does that repair is difficult.

sometimes it's just cheaper to buy a working used motherboard off ebay and swap them out.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I must have missed it, exactly what manufacturer and model is this computer?

I ask because years ago as a roaming replace-parts tech who had broken the keyboard/motherboard connection, I was able to purchase a used internal keyboard that included that very important part -- however, be aware it costs me $140.00 (I had to have one within 2 hours, there was no time for Amazon or Ebay hunting).  If you have to have an internal keyboard, shop around, ensure it comes with that important connector, although, you are much better off with a usb keyboard and mouse kit as others have posted.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 August 2017 - 09:52 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Kushhman

Kushhman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:52 AM

If the connection between the connector and motherboard is broken then you would need an external keyboard. Sometimes a broken connection at the motherboard can prevent a computer from booting. If it's only the part of the connector that rotates and locks the ribbon cable to the connector sometimes a small plastic shim can be placed between the ribbon and the connector to keep it in place.

Hm. Interesting... However, it was indicated by the seller that "one of the metal pieces, motherboard side, has broken off." Besides that, how effective would this fix be?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

If it was just the plastic locking clamp that broken then using a plastic shim is effective but having a metal piece of the connector broken from the motherboard does not sound good. In that case I doubt the plastic shim will help. 

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

Just based on the description offered you would likely have to desolder the existing keyboard connector and resolder a new one.  If it's just a broken solder joint you could try simply resoldering the joint.

The above being said, looking on eBay, the motherboards for these machines are not expensive.  If I had to tear down the machine to get to this part for the fix I'd be far more inclined to buy a new motherboard than to try to fix the existing one if the issue was not a simple broken solder joint.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users