Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Turns On for Half a Second before Turning Off

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rtey31

rtey31

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:13 PM

Today I took apart a Toshiba Satellite P50-A to blow out the dust and apply new thermal paste. I unmounted the cooler ans heatpipe and wiped them down with rubbing alcohol. I also wiped the part on top of the processor. Now the computer won't turn on.

Things I've already tried:

1. BIOS reset (the CMOS battery was taken out, but the computer battery was still in. Will that make a difference?)
2. Reseating RAM

I'm leaving it out to dry overnight to see if it works.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

first i would disassemble and make sure you didn't miss any cables when putting it back together or maybe something didn't come undone while assembling it.

then I would also make sure the heatsink was mounted correctly.  if it's not seated correctly it will instantly get hot and shut down the computer.

#3 rtey31

rtey31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

first i would disassemble and make sure you didn't miss any cables when putting it back together or maybe something didn't come undone while assembling it.

then I would also make sure the heatsink was mounted correctly.  if it's not seated correctly it will instantly get hot and shut down the computer.

Checked three times, can't see any cables disconnected or not seated properly. The heatsink only has 6 screws, and they're in all the way. It's not like it shuts down after booting or during, the lights barely turn on for half a second.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

when you did the new thermal paste, how much did you put on.   it only takes a little bit.   some spread it on like a layer of jelly but that's over kill and can cause it to insulate instead of transfer heat then your back to a thermal problem.

#5 rtey31

rtey31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

when you did the new thermal paste, how much did you put on.   it only takes a little bit.   some spread it on like a layer of jelly but that's over kill and can cause it to insulate instead of transfer heat then your back to a thermal problem.

Put a pea-sized for in the middle, let the heatsink spread it out by itself. None if it went off of the processor.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

1. BIOS reset (the CMOS battery was taken out, but the computer battery was still in. Will that make a difference?)

I suggest resetting the BIOS again; this time remove the battery and unplug from the wall socket. Let it sit 10 minutes, then try again.

[EDIT]:  afterthought: since it starts and immediately shuts down, I am inclined not to suspect the BIOS. Sounds like a cable is not connected properly. If this were a desktop, I would suggest that the power cable from the heatsink fan to the connector on the mainboard is either not plugged in, or in the wrong socket on the mainboard. If no joy, you might want to re-apply the thermal grease, only this time spread it thinly over the surface instead of a dab on the center.

Edited by ranchhand_, 01 September 2017 - 07:47 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users