Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can no longer boot from SSD

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 The Gyro39

The Gyro39

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

My specs:

Mobo - Gigabyte 970-UD3P

Ram - Corsair 8GB DDR3 (dual channel mode)

GPU - XFX R9 280x

PSU - evga 600b

HDD - 1tb seagate

SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb

Optical - Samsung

So I recently was using my PC and I need to do something else so I left it on. When I came back, the screen was dark so I assumed it went into a sleep mode or something. I tried waking the PC up but it wasn't responding to anything. I force shut it off and reboot. Once it gets to the boot screen, it takes forever. I decided to shut it off again and reboot. After doing that, nothing showed up after the mobo splash screen. I went into bios to verify my boot priorities and they were fine. I unplugged everything and switched around which SATA ports they were connected to.

After that, I turned on the PC and it went into automatic repair mode. I ran the start up repair, but I think it did that repair on the HDD instead of the SSD. I had issues with the SSD not being detected in BIOS so I swap the cable and put it in SATA port 0. It's recognized in BIOS but I can't boot from it still.

I go back into the automatic repair and launch CMS. I run the following commands:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr -  "successful"

bootrec.exe /fixboot - "successful"

bootrec.exe /scanos - This said no windows installation was found, which has me worried. I have a feeling the MBR is corrupted due to the abnormal shutdown but I need to remedy this issue asap. What can I do? 

EDIT: It should be noted I've had this SSD for less than a year and it's operating in AHCI mode. The SSD I have is the Samsung Evo 850 which are not known to fail. 

EDIT 2 - I have also done a boot override but nothing happens after the mobo splash screen

Edited by The Gyro39, 30 August 2017 - 12:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Can anyone please help?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

Completely detach cables connecting the hard drive to the motherboard and PSU.  Result should be that SSD is only drive properly connected.

Enter the BIOS and verify that:

a.  The SSD is properly refflected as a hard drive on the main screen.

b.  The boot order reflects the SSD as the first boot device.

Hit F10 to save the settings and reboot.

What happens?

Louis

#4 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

I did that, the BIOS detected the SSD and the SSD was the first (and only) drive to boot. After saving the settings and rebooting, I'm greeted with a message stating "No bootable device is detected. System will enter the BIOS Setup Utility" 

Edit : swapped the data cable, now I'm presented with a black screen that says "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". After rebooting, I go into the bios and the SSD is detected again but I still can't boot from the ssd

Edited by The Gyro39, 31 August 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Just to confirm the SSD was a boot disk, correct? 

Download UBCD. Burn the iso to a CD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image or use Rufus with iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. 

After booting UBCD select Parted Magic from the menu and at the Parted Magic Desktop select Disk Health. Do the short and long generic tests.

When downloading UBCD click the hard drive icon and not the mirror site. Note: Parted Magic will also let you recover any data to a USB external but in order for UBCD to boot on a UEFI computer UEFI needs to change to Legacy or CSM boot.

Detach the HDD when you do the following. Because the MB is UEFI, I am assuming the SSD has been formatted to GPT. You can verify this by booting to a command prompt and typing

diskpart

list disk

If there is an asterisk under the GPT column then the drive has been formatted as a GPT disk

See this guide on rebuilding the EFI partition on a GPT disk. It's slightly different then doing it on a MBR disk.

This is for Windows 8 but the procedure is the same for Windows 7 and 10 with a GPT disk

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

#6 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

So I tried running the disk health program on my SSD, it runs but no progress is made then it just closes. After relaunching disk health, the SSD shows as "Unknown model" instead of Samsung 850 Evo

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Can you mount the SSD and explore it's contents? What Windows OS do you have? Did you use diskpart to find if the SSD was GPT? 

https://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

#8 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:09 PM

Can you mount the SSD and explore it's contents? What Windows OS do you have? Did you use diskpart to find if the SSD was GPT? 

https://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

I'll have to check that out

#9 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:48 PM

Looks like I can't mount it. I click remount on the SSD and it close the mounting program and reopens it. I go file manage, right click on the SSD and click remount and it gives me an error (exit status 32) 

Edit: now I get this

https://imgur.com/omUtLex

Edited by The Gyro39, 31 August 2017 - 09:59 PM.

#10 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:14 PM

It should be noted when my SSD is still recognized before attempting to run any tests or mounting it, it passes the basic health test as shown in this screenshot

s4pYF4N.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

That error is indicative of Windows 8 or 10 with a hibernation file. You can try to mount the drive as read only as the warning indicated. Your drive if by itself will be sda. I don't believe you will need to use sudo in Parted Magic. After pulling any data I would reinstall the OS.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/296331/how-to-mount-a-hard-disk-as-read-only-from-the-terminal

If you have any additional question on mounting read only please start a new thread in the BC linux forum and reference this thread. 

#12 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

That error is indicative of Windows 8 or 10 with a hibernation file. You can try to mount the drive as read only as the warning indicated. Your drive if by itself will be sda. I don't believe you will need to use sudo in Parted Magic. After pulling any data I would reinstall the OS.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/296331/how-to-mount-a-hard-disk-as-read-only-from-the-terminal

If you have any additional question on mounting read only please start a new thread in the BC linux forum and reference this thread. 

So after mounting the SSD using the sudo commands, then I can try to pull my data off of it?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

You will not know until you do the commands. If Parted Magic does not work for you possible a newer distro like Mint Cinnamon.

If the commands do not work please post in the Linux Forum.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

#14 The Gyro39

The Gyro39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:24 AM

I got good news, I was able to mount the SSD and explore the contents! Is it possible to back up the contents of the SSD when mounted in read-only mode? 

Edited by The Gyro39, 01 September 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yes, attach a USB External drive and mount it. Copy the read only data to the USB external which you will be able to write to.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 September 2017 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users