Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to transfer files?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

The best way is to pull the drive from the old machine and connect to the new machine with a USB adapter.  HP considers the hard drive to be user replaceable and it normally isn't too difficult to remove, newer models seem to be the exception.  The process should take less than a half hour.

If you're not willing to do that I'd recommend using a USB stick to transfer the files.  Pick up a 128GB USB3 flash drive.  Copy the files from the old machine, then insert into the new machine and copy.  This method has the added benefit of a backup of your files on the USB stick.  The process should take less than an hour.

Option three would be to use a network or network cable.  Make an administrator account on both machine with the same name and password.  On the new machine connect to the drive of the old machine using the administrative share, \\COMPUTERNAME\C$, where COMPUTERNAME is replaced with the name of the computer.  When prompted for a user to connect use the administrator account and password you created.  Copy your files using whatever Windows method you would like.  The process should take less than two hours.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:26 AM

Wow. I can't believe how great you all are!  I'm serious!  I truly appreciate all of the time each of you took to help me.

So I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is I have completed the transfer successfully. The option I chose was to pull my hard drive from my old laptop and connect it via Sata cable to my new computer. I got the cable, pulled the drive and it was quick and easy just how I wanted it. I had only one minor issue during the transfer, the "move" option in the right-click context menu (I believe it's called) didn't work properly when I selected more than a handful of files. Sometimes it would leave folders behind and sometimes is would copy the files instead of move them. I'm quite sure there is another way to select all but I was caught up listening to some old tunes so it was all good. All together I would say it took less than 2 hours to complete.

You may have already guessed what the bad news is, but I've decided I should talk about it in a new thread.

tytyty  :love4u:

#18 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

"...will I ever have use for this great catalog of music that I have?"

Allow me to paraphrase Andrew Fletcher:  I do not care who write the nation's laws, let me write the nation's songs (and music).

I bring this up because that is exactly what tablets, pods, computers are for:  our writings, our music, our history, our future.  I make geeky backups using geeky ideas, not only because I geek on geekiness, rather, because, most importantly, the writings that I have, the music that I have, my finances, my history, etc. -- everything is a part of who I am.  While I live, I can enjoy and use what I have on PCs.

Ms. Teena, future generations will probably not care one whit that you posted in this thread, very likely, those who are present now, those who come afterwards -- will enjoy what you now enjoy listening to -- your vast, deep, wonderful collection of music.

Amen to this whole post. I have about 12 terabytes of personal data stashed away, and over 75% of it is my music library. It is something that I have worked very hard to accumulate and digitize. It is my heritage.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#19 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 05:32 PM

Ms. Teena, I recommend never doing a large-scale move/transfer operation\, rather, only doing a copy/paste on any large-scale operation.  Then, if the target is equal to the source, then and only then does one delete the source files.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#20 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Ms. Teena, I recommend never doing a large-scale move/transfer operation\, rather, only doing a copy/paste on any large-scale operation.  Then, if the target is equal to the source, then and only then does one delete the source files.

Oh yes, I forgot that copy/paste works in explorer. Thank you for letting me know that it is the better option, I had no idea. Could that be the reason for the problem I'm having with my old computer now? Well either way that's a good segue. I will post it here but please let me know if I should move it to another thread. 

Btw, my computer is currently sitting with the Advanced Options screen up and I plan to leave it that way until I hear from some of you. Not putting on the pressure, just explaining where I am in this current problem because there may be no need for you to read my long drawn out explanation as it is likely useless information at this point.  I would like to save the drive so that I can give my computer to a friend but if it doesn't happen that's ok. I just figure after everything I've already done to it, the best thing for me to do is wait for some advice. So  that's what I'll do. Oh and in case it matters, Win10 was downloaded and installed over 7.

So after successfully transferring my much appreciated music collection to my new computer (thank you Roland),  :guitar: I re-seated the hard drive in the computer, boot it up and following the splash screen these 3 messages popped up in this order:

1. "Event Manager - Cannot create a file when that file already exists.".
2. "Profile error occurred - Your preferences can not be read. Some features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won't be saved" and there was a checked check box "Send feedback to help us fix this issue.". 
3. "Dropbox Error - Could't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.". It also included 2 links to support.

I found the last one particularly odd but yeah, clearly I have problems.   :lmao:  :hysterical: <---- laughing & crying? That's about right.

So after removing these windows the desktop finished loading and all preferences were gone just as it said,  and neither the task bar or the start menu were accessible. So I tried ctr-alt-del which worked so I used the power option there and shut down. I booted it up again a few minutes later and only received the profile error but everything else was the same. So I shut down again pulled the drive and reseated it. When it booted up this time I got what I guess is win10's bsod saying there was problem and it was going to collect data and restart. I can only hope that there wasn't anything I needed to see during that process because I had to step away for about 10. When I returned it was hung up on shut down (no screen), so I did a hard shut down. Since the system had just collected data to I don't know, tried to repair it? I thought I'd go ahead and give it another try and no longer could get in and the system now hangs on start up. So the next couple of boots I decided to try safe mode and ,after trying the old way and it not working I googled then tried the new way, Peters way, Pauls way, everyone has a video for a way, and nothing worked. So I let it hang on startup for about 15 minutes and remembered a rom drive trick that seemed to give a hanging system a kick in the bootie (hey a pun!) so I tried it and to my surprise popped up the Advanced Options screen. So that's what I've done up to this point. I 

Thanks for reading and thank you in advance for your help!!   :love4u:

Edited by MsTeena, 04 September 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#21 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:26 PM

Ok guys I'm sorry. 

I tend to over complicate things and in feeling that my previous post was too long (but needed to add more lol) I took some of what I wrote out and added to it here. I'm going to quit explaining and get to the point.

So the Sata cable kit I purchased didn't come with an on/off switch so when I plugged it into my computer the drive was already spinning. That can't be good right? 3 or 4 explorer windows popped up (also a sign of wrong, right?) so I closed the windows and went on to do the transfer. When I was finished I was a bit agitated about there not being a switch which apparently made my brain malfunction because rather than disconnecting the usb from the computer, I didn't stop trying to disconnect the STUCK cable from the drive and in an effort to get a grip I held it in an amateur-like manner and apparently squeezed because bizzzttt..... was the sound I heard. lol No, not funny. But its how it goes for me.... so I have to laugh.

So yeah... my bad. Help? lol

#22 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,132 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

Since you're giving this machine away a fresh install of Windows 10 should fix any software problems and remove any personal information.

#23 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

Hi Kilroy. How do I do a fresh install when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 online?

Edited by MsTeena, 05 September 2017 - 04:28 PM.

#24 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Follow the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  You won't be updating, but doing a fresh install, but the steps other than a question or two (those related to what you want to keep, which won't be asked unless you're upgrading) are essentially the same.

You will, however, have to boot from the media you create if the machine has been wiped and has no operating system on it at all rather than just popping the bootable media in to your optical drive or USB port and running setup.exe.

It doesn't matter how a machine came to have Windows 10 on it.  Once Windows 10 has been activated on a machine a digital license is kept on Microsoft's servers that's tied to the motherboard on that machine.  You can wipe the machine, install Linux, Windows 7, Windows 8, or any other OS you like but if you choose to reinstall Windows 10 later you can, as the machine is perpetually (or as long as Windows 10 exists) licensed for Windows 10.

Edited by britechguy, 05 September 2017 - 05:58 PM.
Addition about booting from install media

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#25 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

Hi Kilroy. How do I do a fresh install when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 online?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#26 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

"...I'd recommend using a USB stick to transfer the files.  Pick up a 128GB USB3 flash drive. .."

I'd like to add:  always use two sticks; once in awhile a stick returns a "logical error", forcing a format; I've never had two twin sticks go bad at the same time.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#27 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:31 AM

Well guys, my old machine has a new os and all is good.

Thanks again for your time.❤

#28 Vand1949

Vand1949

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:28 AM

Personally, I would move the music files from the old computer to an external hard drive and then copy them from the external hard drive to the new computer. Alternatively, I would upload the music files to Google Drive or Dropbox (if I had enough space there to upload them). 

However, you could use something like WebDrive or Filezilla to accomplish this (as mentioned above), though WebDrive is much more feature-rich and reliable than Filezilla IMO. One of these products would be useful if you want to do many file transfers or want a long-term solution for all your transfer needs.

#29 solera

solera

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

For the record, a nice alternative is a HDD docking station with 2 slots, such as https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Drive-Docking-Station-Duplicator/dp/B008JBD3DS/

I prefer these to external hard drives/enclosures, since with a single one I can use multiple HDDs, both 2.5" and 3.5" formats, and it requires no disassembly or screws so it's fast. Some also have the neat feature of directly cloning one hard drive onto the other (as long as target HDD is equal to or larger than source HDD, and make SURE to get the order right!), without passing through a computer. 

As for the absolute cheapest and easiest, install the two HDDs internally in an existing computer and copy over files or clone the HDDs. If you have a desktop computer, or a laptop that has more than one HDD drive bay, this is easy.

#30 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

For the record, a nice alternative is a HDD docking station with 2 slots, such as https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Drive-Docking-Station-Duplicator/dp/B008JBD3DS/

I prefer these to external hard drives/enclosures, since with a single one I can use multiple HDDs, both 2.5" and 3.5" formats, and it requires no disassembly or screws so it's fast. Some also have the neat feature of directly cloning one hard drive onto the other (as long as target HDD is equal to or larger than source HDD, and make SURE to get the order right!), without passing through a computer. 

As for the absolute cheapest and easiest, install the two HDDs internally in an existing computer and copy over files or clone the HDDs. If you have a desktop computer, or a laptop that has more than one HDD drive bay, this is easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users