Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to transfer files?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MsTeena

MsTeena

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

Hey all.  I am in the process of moving my files from one HP laptop to another and I need some advice please. After a bit of research I decided to use OneDrive to do the transferring and it's been pretty painless so far, however, after getting familiar with the process I've decided that I am definitely not cool with moving 60 g of music files this way.    :thumbdown:    

With that said, I would really appreciate your expert opinions as well as your thoughts on the following questions:

1. Is the fastest way to accomplish the task at hand through the network or by using a crossover ethernet cable (and is an adapter sufficient)? 

2. What would you do if you were giving your laptop away (w/hard drive obviously) and had thousands of (basically obsolete, right?)

music files?   :(

Both laptops are HP running Windows 10.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

for me, I would use an external hard drive.

copy music from your laptop, paste onto hard drive, and reverse that process to get the data onto the new unit.

you have an external drive already don't you as that's where you do all your backups to right ?!?  :lol:

as to data removal when selling, creating a new user profile and deleting your current one will remove all your data and settings, leaving Windows and all your installed software as is.

if you want to take it a step further and make it just that little bit harder for the new owner to retrieve any 'sensitive' data, you could for example, get CCleaner (from here; https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds) and use its Drive Wiper feature.  (Tools > Options > Free Space Only)

Edited by dropbear, 29 August 2017 - 07:35 PM.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

I second dropbear's approach.

It also gives you a backup copy of your existing music library on the external HDD when everything is done if you wish to keep it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

I backup my music files, photos, and not-yet-installed programs to a 256GB reputable flash drive.

Louis

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

I backup my music files, photos, and not-yet-installed programs to a 256GB reputable flash drive.  Louis

I hope you use two flash drives, I have had to go with twin flash drives because once in awhile, a flash drive (but never both at the same time) develops a logical error, forcing a format.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

There is nothing simpler than using a home network, for example as FileZilla Server + FileZilla FTP client or any other home server version. There are lots of them.
It is simple, fast and trusted and no other HDD, USB, CD, DVD, cable, etc or what ever, isn't needed.
(FileZilla Server + FileZilla FTP client  - it is freeware)

Edited by zainmax, 30 August 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

Roland...never had a problem with any flash drive I've purchased...I can't say that re hard drives (internal or external).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2017 - 10:04 AM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

Roland...never had a problem with any flash drive I've purchased...I can't say that re hard drives (internal or external).

Louis

Louis,

You and me both.   It fascinates me, really, how certain devices seem to choose individuals that they wish to be problematic for.   I can't say how many USB jump drives and SD/microSD cards (which, of course, are USB devices) I've had (and still have) over time and never had a single one fail.

I am generally satisfied to have two copies of anything I'd like to keep.   If anything were eventually to become so precious that I think off-site storage were required I'd probably go USB drive/card or cloud storage.  I am amazed that you can get microSD cards these days, and I'm sure USB drives, too, that are 512 MB in size.  There are probably 1TB models by now, but I haven't looked recently.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:33 PM

Roland...never had a problem with any flash drive I've purchased...I can't say that re hard drives (internal or external).  Louis

I got to thinking about this, you know, I suspect something else other than the flash drive went wrong.  I wonder if sometimes it really was my Windows 7 Professional, or my security/monitoring combine, that simply interacted wrongly with a particular flash drive, "forced a logical error', which led to a format to fix.

I mention this in this thread because many people do "sneaker-net", transfer folders and files, copy (as a backup) folders and files, via flash drives.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#10 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

Hi guys, thank you for your ideas.

I thought about using an external drive or a flash drive to do the transfer but figured both ways would be just about as time consuming as it is using OneDrive since they too would required two steps to complete the process. That's the reason I asked about crossover ethernet cables and adapters was to verify that I'm correct in that assumption.

With the exception of the network option, I will need to make a purchase to make either of these 3 options happen. So basically what it boils down to is how much trouble and money it's worth to me and at this point it's not much. I mean, it is .... but it isn't. I don't know, that's why I wanted to know what other people would do. lol I mean, will I ever have use for this great catalog of music that I have? I don't know the answer to that but one thing I'm pretty sure of and that is if it's all sitting on an external or flash somewhere other than in my laptop, the answer is more than like no. Uggghhh!!

Anyway I apologize for not being more clear in my original post. I'm going to try again...so here's my question.

What is the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to transfer files from one laptop to another.  That's in order by importance too I suppose. 

Thank you so so much guys. I really do appreciate it!!  :love4u:

Btw, I certainly know what it feels like to have problems with flash drives and it's not cool!  Especially when it contains important work!! I haven't experienced any problems since the time I thought I lost work that may have got me fired because it was all the lesson I needed to make me comply with proper removal techniques lol What I learned that day though, assuming it still works, is if you plug it into a different computer it will often repair itself. 

#11 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

There is nothing simpler than using a home network, for example as FileZilla Server + FileZilla FTP client or any other home server version. There are lots of them.
It is simple, fast and trusted and no other HDD, USB, CD, DVD, cable, etc or what ever, isn't needed.
(FileZilla Server + FileZilla FTP client  - it is freeware)

Hi zainmax!

I've definitely considered this but unfortunately I don't know anything about networks. If you were to tell me that its easy and that it would cut my time down drastically from any other way, I'd research it and learn it. I just figured neither of those would be that much of a difference. Is FilleZilla a program?

Thanks!  :grinner:

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

FileZilla is a free FTP Client and FTP Server distributed since 2001 under the GNU Public License.    I have used the client end of FileZilla many times and it's quite simple.  I've never set up the server.

If you have both computers connected to a network this would certainly be the cheapest (straight cost wise) method as you need to purchase nothing, but depending on your network speed, how much other traffic it needs to carry, and a number of other factors it may or may not be the fastest.  It may or may not be the easiest, either, depending on how proficient you are in understanding how to set up FileZilla.

If you already own an external backup drive doing a drag and drop of your music library before you retire for the night from the source machine pretty much guarantees it will be transferred before you're up the next morning.  Doing the same the next night (or even during the day) from the external hard drive to the destination machine will have it on there in a reasonably short period of time if you're not planning to be "on the move" that day.

If you do not own an external hard drive and are not doing routine backups I cannot emphasize more strongly that buying one is absolutely the best way to go about this because you do need to have backups of both your user data on a rolling basis and a system image of your machine every time you make any major changes to the software or OS.

Given that SD and MicroSD cards and USB thumb drives that are 64 GB and greater are dirt cheap now that's another option for the music transfer.

I would imagine if you have a wired network or Wireless N or newer wireless configuration that using FTP would likely be the fastest method.  But you have to consider the time expended to get your FileZilla client and server setup and running and I think that's the barrier to both "fastest" and "easiest" right there.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 5,354 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

By the way, depending on how easy it is to pull the hard drive from the "old" laptop that's the music source, you could easily do that in mere minutes if there's a drive bay door on the bottom and connect it to your new computer with a USB cable.

Not knowing the age of the old laptop or what drive connection type it uses makes it impossible to say USB-to-IDE or USB-to-SATA or USB-to-mSATA but any of those cables can be had dirt cheap.

If the old computer is not all that old and is built such that you have to tear down the machine to get at things like the hard drive or RAM then this is not, in any way, a fast or easy option.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

"...will I ever have use for this great catalog of music that I have?"

Allow me to paraphrase Andrew Fletcher:  I do not care who write the nation's laws, let me write the nation's songs (and music).

I bring this up because that is exactly what tablets, pods, computers are for:  our writings, our music, our history, our future.  I make geeky backups using geeky ideas, not only because I geek on geekiness, rather, because, most importantly, the writings that I have, the music that I have, my finances, my history, etc. -- everything is a part of who I am.  While I live, I can enjoy and use what I have on PCs.

Ms. Teena, future generations will probably not care one whit that you posted in this thread, very likely, those who are present now, those who come afterwards -- will enjoy what you now enjoy listening to -- your vast, deep, wonderful collection of music.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 August 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#15 nickos

nickos

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

for me transfer files on a daily basis is quite easy with the iobit unlocker !!!!

http://www.iobit.com/en/iobit-unlocker.php

the only problem i still have is with the sub external drive since the usb port can be damaged after few months

this is very common with an external usb drive of ''any brand' and any capacity

a more reliable way is to use a network attached storage (nas) but is a little bit expensive compared to a usb external drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users