Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 beejay01

beejay01

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

Hi everyone here,
My Lenovo t430 is really giving me a bad headache.The problem is about checking file system on c. The type of that file system is NTFS.One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency, you may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Disk checking has been cancelled.
I have tried alot to check the file system on c but I could not see an open box to type cmd in order to continue with the remaining process.
Please i need some useful information to continue with the process of checking file system on c.
Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

There are multiple ways to run chkdsk /r command.

Let's try the simplest.

Click START/Computer...right-click on C:.  Right-click on Properties.  Click Tools tab, click Check Now button.  Put check marks in both options.  Press START button.

A Guide For Various Methods and Versions Of Windows

.Louis

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:28 PM

click start button,

type CMD in search box,

when CMD appears above right click once on it,

select run as administrator

a black box will appear,

type C: <enter>

type CHKDSK C: /F /R <enter>

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Hi everyone here,
My Lenovo t430 is really giving me a bad headache.The problem is about checking file system on c. The type of that file system is NTFS.One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency, you may cancel the disk check but it is strongly recommended that you continue. Disk checking has been cancelled.
I have tried alot to check the file system on c but I could not see an open box to type cmd in order to continue with the remaining process.
Please i need some useful information to continue with the process of checking file system on c.
Thank you in advance.

If CHKDSK is running on startup by itself, I would suspect a serious file system (and possibly hard drive) problem. Instead of running CHKDSK (which could potentially make things worse if ran with the /R parameter), I suggest you backup ALL your files immediately, and then run Seagate SeaTools for DOS. Be sure to test ALL your drives with Long Generic test. If SeaTools says the drive passes, then go ahead and run CHKDSK with the /R parameter.

click start button,

type CMD in search box,

when CMD appears above right click once on it,

select run as administrator

a black box will appear,

type C: <enter>

type CHKDSK C: /F /R <enter>

Not sure whether if you know this but the /R parameter in the CHKDSK command implies /F, so there's no need to enter CHKDSK C: /F /RCHKDSK C: /R does the same thing. :)

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 29 August 2017 - 04:13 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

Assuming you did not schedule a chkdsk to run on the next reboot of your system...

When Windows starts it checks all volumes (hard drives) for consistency and if any volume is found to be "dirty" a chkdsk with error correction will run automatically on the volume to attempt to fix any problems before things get worse.

It does not necessarily mean a "serious file system problem" - it means the volume is dirty.

The amount of time it takes for that to complete depends on the size of the volume, the amount of data on the volume, the speed of your system and what the chkdsk finds to do.

It is best to not interrupt the chkdsk and to let it complete and that could take a long time...  many to several hours.  It will finish sooner or later.

A volume can be marked dirty from things like an aborted restart, improper shutdown, power interruption, using the reset or power button, battery pulling, etc.  Have any of those events occurred?

You can query the dirty bit on a volume from the command prompt window with Administrator privileges.

Click the Start orb/button and in the box enter the following:

cmd.exe

Right click cmd.exe and choose to Run as Administrator:

[attachment=197402:1.jpg]

To query the dirty bit on drive C, in the Command Prompt window enter the following command followed by the Enter key:

fsutil  dirty  query  C:

[attachment=197403:2.jpg]

Sample output should be one or the other of:

Volume C: is dirty
Volume C is NOT dirty

You should check each of your volumes or each of your hard drives (C, D, E, etc.).

Enter 'exit' to close the Command Prompt window.

If a volume is dirty the only thing that can clear it is a chkdsk with error correction and you might need to run it more than one time.  If the drive is failing, you might not ever be able to clear the dirty bit so chkdsk will always run on a restart. 

If the dirty bit will never clear you should consider replacing the drive but in the meantime you can tell Windows to NOT check the dirty bit on a volume by issuing a command like this example for the C drive:

chkntfs   /x   c:

That would tell Windows to never check the dirty bit on volume C but that is risky behavior because if the dirty bit will not clear, something is wrong with that drive.

You can undo that command and reset the automatic error checking back to the default value with this command:

chkntfs   /d

Edited by joseibarra, 29 August 2017 - 05:58 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 beejay01

beejay01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:05 AM

Good day all,
I really appreciate everyone that had suggested one or more solutions to enable me solve the file system NTFS error on my system.
The issue is the fact that I'm unable to see any search inorder to text "cmd" into it also I'm unable to run as administrator because the two pages aren't displaying.
Whenever I "power on" my system, the next thing i would get is the thinkpad logo which would immediately display "Boot Menu and Application Menu", then I would press Esc key and what I get next is "starting windows ".This would take up to 10secs before display: Checking file system on c, the type of the file system is NTFS. This would also take like 10secs before displaying "Windows error recovery ".
Under windows error recovery I have: 1. Launch Startup Recommended. 2.Start windows normally. I would now launched the startup by myself. What came up was : A hard disk problem is preventing windows from starting, startup cannot repair this computer automatically, send more information can help Microsoft create solutions. I have this 4 underneath: 1. Send information about this problem (recommended). 2. Don't send. 3.View problem details. 4. View advanced options for system recovery and support.I had tried send information and don't send so many times getting no positive result.
I read a material on a site sometimes ago about "hacking administrator password " which could be done through "view problem details " that happens to be the 3rd item under startup repair. I tried so hard to look through "view problem details" yesterday in the course of solving the checking file system on c. I was fortunate to see chkntfs, chkdsk,Cmd and other codes after clicking on view problem details a box opens showing *problem signature and Read our privacy statement online under this we have http://go.Microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid.... and "X:/windows/system32/en-Us/erofflps.txt"(for microsoft offline privacy statement. I got another box having "erofflps-Notepad" on the top left hand side showing privacy statement offline after clicking on the link.
I don't know if there is any solution to checking file system on c through the erofflps-Notepad or there is another simpler solution elsewhere.
Thank you all.
Good day all,
I really appreciate everyone that had suggested one or more solutions to enable me solve the file system NTFS error on my system.
The issue is the fact that I'm unable to see any search inorder to text "cmd" into it also I'm unable to run as administrator because the two pages aren't displaying.
Whenever I "power on" my system, the next thing i would get is the thinkpad logo which would immediately display "Boot Menu and Application Menu", then I would press Esc key and what I get next is "starting windows ".This would take up to 10secs before display: Checking file system on c, the type of the file system is NTFS. This would also take like 10secs before displaying "Windows error recovery ".
Under windows error recovery I have: 1. Launch Startup Recommended. 2.Start windows normally. I would now launched the startup by myself. What came up was : A hard disk problem is preventing windows from starting, startup cannot repair this computer automatically, send more information can help Microsoft create solutions. I have this 4 underneath: 1. Send information about this problem (recommended). 2. Don't send. 3.View problem details. 4. View advanced options for system recovery and support.I had tried send information and don't send so many times getting no positive result.
I read a material on a site sometimes ago about "hacking administrator password " which could be done through "view problem details " that happens to be the 3rd item under startup repair. I tried so hard to look through "view problem details" yesterday in the course of solving the checking file system on c. I was fortunate to see chkntfs, chkdsk,Cmd and other codes after clicking on view problem details a box opens showing *problem signature and Read our privacy statement online under this we have http://go.Microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid.... and "X:/windows/system32/en-Us/erofflps.txt"(for microsoft offline privacy statement. I got another box having "erofflps-Notepad" on the top left hand side showing privacy statement offline after clicking on the link.
I don't know if there is any solution to checking file system on c through the erofflps-Notepad or there is another simpler solution elsewhere.
Thank you all.

#7 beejay01

beejay01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 07:45 AM

Hi friends,
I am able to enter "safe mode" now. How can i resolve NTFS error through "safe mode" medium?
Thanks.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users