Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see share folder on Windows server 2003 or Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 westates1

westates1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

I'm having trouble seeing a shared folder on windows server 2003 and windows 8 from a mac 10.5.8.

For some reason we can see one particular shared hard drive but cannot see any shared folders.

We have tried to add several folders to the "shared" under system preferences -> sharing.

Also added the different users for each shared folder.

But when we try to access the folder it says we don't have proper permissions.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

I can't talk about 10.5.8 but on more recent Mac OS versions there is an extra unexpected step to allowing access to shared Mac folders from some windows OSs. I'm assuming the same 'gotcha' and equivalent settings exist on older Mac OSs.

In System Preferences / Sharing you will already have turned on "File Sharing" and set up your share folder and their permissions.

The extra trick is, On the Sharing settings page, with "File Sharing" highlighted, Click the "Options..." button.

In there you need to ensure that "Share files and folders using SMB" is ticked (it almost certainly is already), and additionally you need to tick each mac user account that you need to be able to be authenticate as from Windows. When you do that, you need to present the user's Mac password for each account again (as the Mac needs to keep a copy of the password in a 'less secure' form than it would usually store the password).

The connection from the Window system is authenticated against that extra copy pf the Mac account password. Without individually enabling the Mac user accounts in that way, you will not be able to authenticate form Windows.

x64

#3 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

I am the originator of this topic.

For some reason, two of the MAC OS external hard drives on the windows server 2003 side show up but not any of the folders that we have shared from the MAC OS 10.5.8.

I have followed all of the step by step instructions from lots of different sources on the web but it will not show up with the folders being shared.

Any suggestions?

#4 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

I am trying to login using a username I created and password and no luck.

Using this format: \\OSXServer\trueflow

It does give me the prompt to type in a username and password but it gives me this message when I try to connect.

I get this message:

\\OSXServer\trueflow is not acccessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The network path is not found. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users