Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - Unknown App prevents shutdown (not in TaskManager)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 windows10User8460

windows10User8460

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Hello everyone! :-)

I am trying to figure out which app prevents my Windows 10 machine from shutting down / rebooting.

When I want to shut my machine down, every second or third time, the message "Closing apps and shutting down" appears for about five seconds. After that the system shuts down / reboots normally.

I wasn't able to find the programs named in this dialog. I looked in the task manager and also started Sysinternals ProcMon and checked the processes. Didn't find it.

The apps listed in the shutdown dialog are the following:

HKUSBKEYMSG (more often)

CFD File Open Message Window (only very rare)

Is there any way to find out which processes are really preventing the shutdown?

Any log file or a way to the full path of the blocking application?

Unfortunately google doesn't know much about the named processes.

Or is this just something I shouldn't be worried about and ignore?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by windows10User8460, 30 August 2017 - 02:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windows10User8460

windows10User8460
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

Just wanted to shut down and another process was listed: HardwareMonitor

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hello everyone! :-)

I am trying to figure out which app prevents my Windows 10 machine from shutting down / rebooting.

When I want to shut my machine down, every second or third time, the message "Closing apps and shutting down" appears for about five seconds. After that the system shuts down / reboots normally.

This is completely normal and happens even very fast, since by default Windows wait time is 15 seconds for each backend.
You have nothing wrong.

#4 windows10User8460

windows10User8460
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 02:18 AM

Thank you for your answer.

I was just worried about the app names mentioned in the dialog, because I could not find anything about them on google.

So it's not a problem that I don't know which apps those are?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

If you have applications still open when you go to shut down the computer Windows will close these applications before shutting down the computer.  If this didn't take place you could damage files that were running at the time.  I always close all of the applications before shutting down the computer, browser, email, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

With batch script i have created you can automatically close apps not responding at shutdown in windows. Please execute the batch script as a administrator.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:32 AM

Regarding the two mystery apps.

I'm going to take a guess that you upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, correct.  Both of the applications are related to Windows 7, 8.1, 10.

The HP USB Key Utility is a Windows application that copies Intelligent Provisioning or HP SPP contents, and other CD or DVD images to a USB flash drive.

You can find more information here.

The CDF is a Windows file format.  CDF is a file extension for the Microsoft Channel Definition Format. The Channel Definition Format was an application of Extensible Markup Langugage (XML) that Microsoft proposed as a standard way to describe a Web site channel, consisting of a website or group of sites.

You can always use the Task Manager to close applications.

Edited by dc3, 03 September 2017 - 08:33 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 windows10User8460

windows10User8460
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for your answers and for the AutoEndTask-Script. I will try that.

@dc3 You said that I can use the TaskManager to close apps. Of course I can. But these apps simply don't show up there.

And it's HKUSBKEYMSG, checked that twice. I was wondering if HK is short for HardLocK, because I had a license USB Dongle from them. (But the drivers for it are uninstalled.)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for your answers and for the AutoEndTask-Script. I will try that.

1. @dc3 You said that I can use the TaskManager to close apps. Of course I can. But these apps simply don't show up there.

2. And it's HKUSBKEYMSG, checked that twice. I was wondering if HK is short for HardLocK, because I had a license USB Dongle from them. (But the drivers for it are uninstalled.)

1. The two files I mentioned in my last post are not programs, so the taskmanager will not have these listed under Apps.

2. I provided you with a link which goes into great detail in explaining what it is and what it does.  It most certainly doesn't mean "HardLock".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users