Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DuckDuckGo (Microsoft Edge) Question ..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

Hi there, 

i have a question about DuckDuckGo, i have heard a lot of it.. and i will give it a try! and iknow what it is but i heard also a lot on the internet dat DDG is Malware and keeps reinstallng itself is this true?

but is DuckDuckGo:

1. Safe to use?

2. Virus-free?

3. Trustable?

I Block Always third-party cookies, on all my Browsers and enable: Do-Not-Track. and also use ABP with different filters. :)

But do you recommend DuckDuckGo to me? so yes why? :)

and yeah i'm love Microsoft Edge i love it more than Google chrome (Biggest spy browser there is)

and Yeah i'm Doghen and i'm back on Bleepingcomputer :) i really like this site.

-Cheers Brent!

or Should i stay with Google search engine :)

Edited by Doghen, 29 August 2017 - 09:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,672 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

I have no idea where the information that DuckDuckGo "is malware" is coming from, but it's not accurate.

You have to install DuckDuckGo as a search engine option on most web browsers if you want it to be used as your default engine from the address bar.  I have been using DuckDuckGo for years as my preferred search engine because they don't track what you search on, unlike Google.  Google is completely transparent (in my opinion) about the fact that they do this but I really don't need them collecting that sort of information.  Some people just don't care about that and that's their call, but it's not even an "open secret" that Google collects data on what you search on - it's a clearly stated fact.

If you like Chrome (which I do) but don't want to use a Google-maintained product then use its open-source cousin, Chromium.  It's the open-source relative of Google Chrome spun-off of Chrome itself by Google.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

So DuckDuckGo is not malware?

and it is trustable and safe to use? 

because i hate google's search engine they track anything you do or type (just like the browser itself) thats why i love Microsoft edge :P 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

Uh, if you're using a Microsoft Account (and probably, even though to a lesser extent, even if you don't) there's plenty of data collection that goes on for Edge.  Read through your EULA for Windows 10 and the various services.

DuckDuckGo has been, and continues to be, one of the favorite search engines for those who are privacy-minded.  There is a ton of discussion of DuckDuckGo out there from credible sources (note:  credible) and I'm not going to rehash that which can be found easily with a web search.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

Hmm iknow that Microsoft edge collects data, but not so much like Google chrome and every browser collects data right.. (but different than others) 

and iknow Microsoft edge only collects data, when you have switch a setting to Full and main is on Basic,..

but what does Microsoft edge collects than?

and yeah i give DuckDuckGo a try, thanks for the info about DuckDuckGo :P

so in your words DuckDuckGo is trustable and safe to use as a search engine :) right?

-cheers brent

Edited by Doghen, 29 August 2017 - 12:11 PM.

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:22 PM

Just to re-hash the good answers you received to your original question:
1. Yes.
2. Yes, but dependant on what sites you click using the DuckDuckGo search engine (or any other) and any subsequent clicks while searching, safe use of the 'net is entirely in your own hands, the weakest link/opening for malware.
3. Yes.

For your info, britechguy as well as many other respected folks here won't steer you wrong. 
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#7 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

thankyou rad

and thankyou britechguy! :)

i have set safe search to max and does DuckDuckGo also blocks/filters malware sites? (like don't show malware site in the search results) 

and i will use DuckDuckGo on all my computers as Search engine :D 

-cheers brent.

Edited by Doghen, 29 August 2017 - 01:44 PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

I do not count on any search engine to filter results and actually prefer that they do not.

If you're worried about having proactive protection against landing on spyware and malware sites I strongly suggest using Spywareblaster, which tweaks your hosts file to prevent any of your browsers from going to sites known to be a problem.  You do need to update every few months to get additions, but it's easy.

#9 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

I've also been using DDG for yonks, and yes it's safe to use, virus free and trust-worthy.

another one, very similar to the goals of DDG is Qwant.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#10 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:18 AM

Hmm oke thanks for this greatfull info! :D and britechguy i will try it :)

also an expert of my skool project learns us about privacy and he strongly recommended us DuckDuckGo, :) 

but know i'm sure to use it! thanks. 

-cheers brent. >:

#11 Harol

Harol

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:32 AM

I would like to see the learned opinions of you folks concerning the Brave browser. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users