Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two routers both wired into modem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigisch

bigisch

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

I've seen many posts covering how to set up two LANs off of one modem that involve cascading the routers. I came back from vacation to see someone had hooked up a second router to the modem (the modem has 4 LAN ports) for our office neighbors to have their own network. i.e. we want both networks to be private from the other.

The modem is in bridge mode and when I check the WAN IP on our router it's public facing, so it would appear everything is and has been OK since the second router was added. Is there something I'm missing? The only item I'm not confident in is port forwarding for a VPN hosted on our server. As long as their router isn't also trying to forward the same ports, it should work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

How did you check your wan ip? Did you go into the router and look or did you use a online service to check?

"modem" having 4 lan ports means its a router as does being in bridge mode since that condition doesn't exist in a real modem.

The other router forwarding ports will have no affect on your routers port forwarding so nothing to worry about there.

#3 bigisch

bigisch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the quick response!

I did go into the router and check and WAN IP. My apologies on the terminology - in my head modem = whatever is taking coax into ethernet...

I appreciate the insight. So is it fair to say the only time you'd need to cascade is if the modem/router only had one ethernet port? This way seems simpler than cascading.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

Cascading routers makes the 2nd router a glorified wifi switch since it can't/isn't doing nat. Advantage is you have one network instead of two lans like you have now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users