Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If I installed Win10 and want to go back to Win8.1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dormillie

dormillie

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:08 AM

I have Windows 8.1 preinstalled and "upgraded" to Windows 10. Sadly, I realized my laptop, Lenovo Ideapad Y510p is not Windows 10 supported. If I downgrade, will I still be able to use my Windows 8.1 OEM/BIOS key or will I never get to use it and have to buy another product key/installation disk? My recovery partition is replaced with Windows 10 so I can't rollback to Windows 8.1.

I'm not sure whether Windows 10 is the right forum to ask this but well, considering my laptop isn't win10 supported, it's very unstable with high disk usage and it's bothering me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Your Windows 8.1 product key will still be usable.

How long has it been since you upgraded to Windows 10.  Depending on the version of Windows 10 you are using you could only have thirty days to revert back to Windows 8.1 without reinstalling it with installation media.

You will find instructions for performing a roll back to Windows 8.1 here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

Even if your laptop is not officially supported the specs it has should make it very easily capable of running Windows 10.   Before you consider rolling back to Windows 8.1 I'd strongly suggest that you take a full user data backup as well as a full system image backup and consider reinstalling Windows 10, particularly if you happen to still be on Version 1607 or earlier.

The instructions, Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file, are excellent.  I would try doing the upgrade keeping files and apps first, then if that doesn't help then I'd try again but keeping nothing.   You really have nothing to lose by trying this.

If you are absolutely certain that you want to go back to Windows 8.1 then you should still take the backups mentioned above first.  Make certain you have the product key you'll need to activate Windows 8.1, then download the ISO file and create bootable media from the Microsoft Windows 8 Download Page.  There is a Media Creation Tool for Windows 8.1 just like there is for Windows 10.   For myself, I prefer to download the ISO file and then create either a bootable optical drive using the burn utility of my choice or a bootable USB drive using Rufus.

In any case, good luck on getting through the process.  It's not difficult but can be tedious.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 dormillie

dormillie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

How long has it been since you upgraded to Windows 10.  Depending on the version of Windows 10 you are using you could only have thirty days to revert back to Windows 8.1 without reinstalling it with installation media.

I installed it 3 days ago (Sunday). I checked the build and I have 1511.

Edited by dormillie, 29 August 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

Ok, the question is was this a fresh installation or an upgrade?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

How anyone would have media that installed 1511 at this juncture is a mystery.  I would definitely be using either the Update Assistant on the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page   or the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file to get to 1703 before even thinking of rolling back to Windows 8.1.

This is regardless of whether a fresh install or upgrade, as the major version updates, for all intents and purposes, reinstall the OS.

Edited by britechguy, 30 August 2017 - 09:53 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

How anyone would have media that installed 1511 at this juncture is a mystery.  I would definitely be using either the Update Assistant on the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page   or the instructions for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file to get to 1703 before even thinking of rolling back to Windows 8.1.

This is regardless of whether a fresh install or upgrade, as the major version updates, for all intents and purposes, reinstall the OS.

Unless this was a in-place upgrade the OP will not be able to rollback to Windows 8.1.

Rollback from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1 / 7

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

dc3,

I do not use the term "roll back" to only describe using the "Roll back to earlier build" or "Roll back to Windows X" to do it.

At this point the OP has enough information about either updating Windows 10 to its current version and build to see if that fixes the issues occurring (as version 1511 was still relatively unstable) or to go back/return to/roll back to Windows 8.1 by reinstalling it after having backed up all user data, taking a system image, and making an inventory of what programs (AKA desktop apps) would need to be reinstalled after a fresh install of Windows 8.1.

Although Windows 10 has made it easier than ever to update/upgrade and/or reinstall they've created a nightmare with regard to terminology.  Reset (with or without keep my files and, in the case of a version update, add in keep my files and apps), reinstall, and the list goes on, depending on exactly how one is approaching it.  Going back is no less complicated terminology-wise, either.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Unless this was a in-place upgrade the OP will not be able to rollback to Windows 8.1.

Unless you are using an obscure definition for the word "rollback," this statement is not true at all.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

I installed it 3 days ago (Sunday). I checked the build and I have 1511.

How did you install version 1511? Where did you get the installation media for such an ancient version of Windows 10?

If your computer ran Windows 8 the chances are very high that it is Windows 10 ready.

Oh yeah, and that link isn't applicable to this thread.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users