Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antimalware Service Executable high CPU and DISK usage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cucbeo

cucbeo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

Hi !

I am using Windows 7 on your machine. then I upgrade Windows 10 from my Windows 7. Recently, the on screen display shows that my system is reaching 90-100% CPU usage.
When opening Task Manager, I found Antimalware Service Executable (MsMpEng.exe), which consumes 90-100% of memory. I used Malwarebytes, Kaspersky internet security to scan for and kill any malware but the problem is still not improving.
Need help from everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hi, you mention using Kaspersky and malwarebytes . The process you reference MsMpEng is part of windows defender. If Malwarebytes is the full latest version then you have 3 AV's running. One of the symptoms of High CPU useage is conflicting AV's.

Where one is good, two or more are bad as far as AV's go. The programs conflict with each other, you need to have only one, and by far the most preferred is windows defender,and windows firewall. You need to use the developers uninstall util to be rid of them. Windows defender and windows updates run with high priority so when running a scan or downloading updates they use resources this soon returns to normal.  

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hi, you mention using Kaspersky and malwarebytes . The process you reference MsMpEng is part of windows defender. If Malwarebytes is the full latest version then you have 3 AV's running. One of the symptoms of High CPU useage is conflicting AV's.

Where one is good, two or more are bad as far as AV's go. The programs conflict with each other, you need to have only one, and by far the most preferred is windows defender,and windows firewall. You need to use the developers uninstall util to be rid of them. Windows defender and windows updates run with high priority so when running a scan or downloading updates they use resources this soon returns to normal.  

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus and will not conflict with  Kaspersky or Home Defender which should actually be disabled since Kaspersky is running.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

The CPU problem reported here isn’t being caused by a scan that was scheduled by a user – the issue is either that the daily Windows Defender scheduled scan (that’s run by Automatic Maintenance) is failing to yield to user activity as it should; or perhaps that some kind of intensive network activity is being monitored by the Windows Defender filter driver (real-time protection);

In order to fix this problem, you just disable Windows Defender:
1. open the Windows Registry
2. Go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
3. Find DisableAntiSpyware, double-click to edit it and change its value to 1.
If you can’t see a registry entry named DisableAntiSpyware, right-click on the blank and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Make sure that you do name your new key called DisableAntiSpyware and set the value to 1. Windows Defender will be disabled instantly.

Following video illustrates this method:

Edited by Lvlpost, 29 August 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

The CPU problem reported here isn’t being caused by a scan that was scheduled by a user – the issue is either that the daily Windows Defender scheduled scan (that’s run by Automatic Maintenance) is failing to yield to user activity as it should; or perhaps that some kind of intensive network activity is being monitored by the Windows Defender filter driver (real-time protection)

If the OP has Kaspersky installed Windows Home Defender should be disabled automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

The CPU problem reported here isn’t being caused by a scan that was scheduled by a user – the issue is either that the daily Windows Defender scheduled scan (that’s run by Automatic Maintenance) is failing to yield to user activity as it should; or perhaps that some kind of intensive network activity is being monitored by the Windows Defender filter driver (real-time protection)

If the OP has Kaspersky installed Windows Home Defender should be disabled automatically.

I have not tried this case, thank you for the suggestion

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

I'll also add that there are times when the behavior described by the OP is entirely normal.   If you let it go for a while, and it goes away, I would not get too exercised about it.

I've had this issue intermittently and it usually irons itself out and stays ironed out for months until the next time, when it irons itself out again.

It is also becoming less and less clear what Malwarebytes "really is."  They are introducing realtime scanning that is quite congruent with what anti-virus and/or security suite software does and this was not always the case.  Since I use strictly the on-demand scanner there is no conflict, but I'm not so sure there mightn't be these days given the architecture changes to the latest version of Malwarebytes and if you use the free trial or paid version with realtime scanning.  Their marketing isn't helping matters, either, with the "makes antivirus obsolete" tag line.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

Hi, as I said, using the latest version of Malwarebytes, it has been causing many similar problems, Kaspersky is also suspect code (inability to disable competing processes), leaving windows firewall still running. we have had trouble with it's latest version as well. The point is MS are hardening the security of windows and defender along with windows firewall is the most suitable protection for the home user.

As Britechguy said this can happen and then go away (updates running, a scheduled scan, and health reports maintenance all using resources) what you don't need is to add fuel to the fire with malwarebytes and kaspersky. BTW you need to use the developers util to properly uninstall kaspersky. I do not recommend anyone using Malwarebytes at the moment, Superantispyware is preferred. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users