Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is Update KB4033637?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

What is "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4033637)"?

And why is the knowledge base article link that Microsoft gives broken?

Edited by bcmo, 28 August 2017 - 09:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ItsMeYoo

ItsMeYoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Bd0fQ63.png

All we know so far is that MS has labeled it as a "Security Update"

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

A thread about it here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-update-kb4033637/2feb85a7-84b5-47aa-95aa-9c60ef8cd821?auth=1

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

As an aside, I would not spend a lot of time worrying about updates to 1607 at this point since the final phase of the roll out to Version 1703 is underway.  I'd be far more inclined to force the update to Version 1703 (which will, of course, include whatever this patch was).

If that holds any interest then see: Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  The latest ISO will update a system to 1703.

I'm just wondering how long this final phase is going to take since it's really not possible to release the fall update until it's either complete or very near to complete.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 ItsMeYoo

ItsMeYoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:01 AM

@Opera

Already saw it but it's nothing official.

I'm using LTSB 1607 and I don't expect 1703 anytime soon.

I wasn't even able to block or prevent the update from installing using wushowhide.diagcab

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:12 AM

As an aside, I would not spend a lot of time worrying about updates to 1607 at this point since the final phase of the roll out to Version 1703 is underway.  I'd be far more inclined to force the update to Version 1703 (which will, of course, include whatever this patch was).

If that holds any interest then see: Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.  The latest ISO will update a system to 1703.

I'm just wondering how long this final phase is going to take since it's really not possible to release the fall update until it's either complete or very near to complete.

We are so close to the release of 1710 now that this is all moot. I am now running a new beta version of 1710 and this version seems to have zero bugs, unlike some of the earlier alpha versions.

The final version should hit the streets at the end of Sept., about one month from now.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:27 AM

Rocky,

I hope you are correct that Version 1710 will actually go out in late September or early October 2017.  Given the history I'm not quite so willing to be certain that it will as you are.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#8 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

Keep in mind that most users (including myself) still have v1607 and haven't yet been offered v1703. Once we get it (whenever that is), the fall update will presumably be offered a half a year after that.
So is Update KB4033637 a preparation for 1703, or 1709?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

It appears to be a security update.

In the final analysis, unless you're someone who plans to use third-party or registry-edit methods to block Windows Update, you must apply all updates to Windows 10 as your machine is added to an update cohort over time.   All updates are cumulative and roll up into the next one, so if you missed it on the last one you will get it on the next one.

Windows as a Service is a whole new ballgame as far as frequency of updates and how/when they are distributed.  The days of Patch Tuesdays and service packs are a thing of the past.

If you wish to update to Version 1703 at this time, whether you've been offered it via Windows Update or not, you can use the Update Assistant on the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page  or follow the instructions to Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

You do not clearly understand the twice-a-year update cycle that Microsoft is trying to get everyone on to as soon as possible and I'll be the first to admit that Microsoft has done nothing to help to clear this up.   The best article I've seen that explains it clearly, including timelines to show the overlaps where various versions have or will be phasing out as the next one(s) will be phasing in is:  https://blog.juriba.com/windows-10-branching-timeline 

#10 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

You do not clearly understand the twice-a-year update cycle...

I do. I'm just pointing out that the "Creators Update" that was rolled out in April still hasn't reached most home users. Based on that, one would assume that the "Fall Creators Update" which is supposed to start rolling out soon will have a similar delay for most.

Edited by bcmo, 30 August 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

You do not clearly understand the twice-a-year update cycle...

I do. I'm just pointing out that the "Creators Update" that was rolled out in April still hasn't reached most home users. Based on that, one would assume that the "Fall Creators Update" which is supposed to start rolling out soon will have a similar delay for most.

But none of these are delayed by X months based on when the last one arrived on any given machine.  Your presumption, "Once we get it (whenever that is), the fall update will presumably be offered a half a year after that," is incorrect in that as things keep settling into shorter (by comparison to the opening cycles) version update cycles the goal, and sooner rather than later, is to have everyone getting feature (version) updates 2x per year.

It will be great when the current hyperextended update cycles finally go away, and that seems to be happening, to some extent, with each successive version update.

#12 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

But none of these are delayed by X months based on when the last one arrived on any given machine.  Your presumption, "Once we get it (whenever that is), the fall update will presumably be offered a half a year after that," is incorrect in that as things keep settling into shorter (by comparison to the opening cycles) version update cycles the goal, and sooner rather than later, is to have everyone getting feature (version) updates 2x per year.

It will be great when the current hyperextended update cycles finally go away, and that seems to be happening, to some extent, with each successive version update.

Based on what you're saying, Redstone 4 will be released less than a half a year after Redstone 3/Fall Creators Update's release (i.e. January 2018 at the latest).

Edited by bcmo, 30 August 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Redstone 4 is (and always has been) slated for release 6 months after Redstone 3 (what is now the Fall Creators Update, Version 1709).

Whether or not that happens depends on whether things will have settled down enough to let it happen.   After all, Version 1709 is slated to start rolling out approximately six months after Version 1703.

The ultimate target is major feature releases two times per year, though I have the feeling that exactly what months will slide just a bit with time.

Version 1507 (Original Windows 10, now out of support)

Version 1511 (First major feature release, 4 months later, as the initial release was far from ready for prime time)

Version 1607 (Second major feature release, 8 months later, and took a very long time getting initially rolled out and remains on many machines)

Version 1703 (Third major feature release, about 8 months later at its start of roll out, completion of roll out delayed significantly secondary to big issues with the roll out of 1607, and early issues with its own roll out)

Version 1709 ([Redstone 3]Fourth major release, and if it comes out when stated will be the first on an actual 6 month interval.  I'll be shocked if it does, but who knows)

Redstone 4, as currently slated, will be Version 1803, six months after Redstone 3

#14 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:31 PM

Keep in mind that most users (including myself) still have v1607 and haven't yet been offered v1703. Once we get it (whenever that is), the fall update will presumably be offered a half a year after that.
So is Update KB4033637 a preparation for 1703, or 1709?

Your presumption, "Once we get it (whenever that is), the fall update will presumably be offered a half a year after that," is incorrect in that as things keep settling into shorter (by comparison to the opening cycles) version update cycles the goal, and sooner rather than later, is to have everyone getting feature (version) updates 2x per year.

Based on what you're saying, Redstone 4 will be released less than a half a year after Redstone 3/Fall Creators Update's release (i.e. January 2018 at the latest).

Redstone 4 is (and always has been) slated for release 6 months after Redstone 3 (what is now the Fall Creators Update, Version 1709).

Whether or not that happens depends on whether things will have settled down enough to let it happen.   After all, Version 1709 is slated to start rolling out approximately six months after Version 1703.

Not sure I understand, I thought you meant above the distance between each release is going to shrink, which would mean that Redstone 4 will be released less than a half a year after Redstone 3.

What I was saying is exactly the point of two version updates per year. But since Redstone 2/v1703 is coming to most people a half year after its release, future version releases may follow a similar model (meaning they reach most users a half year after their release).

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:43 AM

The next release after 1710 should be 1803. Ubuntu has been using this schedule for many years and other Linux distros use a very similar rolling release pattern. I am glad that Microsoft has adapted this type of scheduled release program because it makes it much easier to plan major purchases and upgrades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 31 August 2017 - 05:44 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users