Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i just bought a used sony vaio Z-series laptop from ebay but OS is missing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hello Guys, 

I have a few questions here hopefully someone can help me. So about a week ago i bought a really cheap used sony vaio Z-series laptop from ebay, the seller already disclosed the OS Windows 7 is missing, don't know why, but since it has been a laptop model I wanted very much back in the old days, i went ahead and bought it always given the price was so good. 

I turned on the laptop, it's was a black screen, saying no OS, which i was already told. It still has the tag from microsoft windows with key numbers. It does not comes with any DVD discs, actually, the laptop does not comes with optical drive at all.

Searching the internet and youtube, there are fellows who said, something about people can download and install ISO version of Windows7 or something ISO images?? Which i am a little confused, can anyone tell me:

1. What is ISO version of Windows7, and what is ISO images?

2. How does it work? Or does it actually work in my case? 

3. They said using a 5 GB ??USB flash drive ....Does it making any sense??...I mean, the Windows7 is not this small size, is'nt it?

4. I am also thinking about replacing the hard drive, ....perhaps it is the hard drive problem/ virus that made the seller to sell at the first place,...should I get the windows7 back to the original hard drive FIRST, then using the clone software to copy/paste the windows7 onto the new solid state drive? Is this the proper way to do it? 

Thanks 

Edited by browniebrownie141, 28 August 2017 - 08:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

Try your luck here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows7

What is ISO?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

ISO is simply an image file of a CD/DVD. Software file which acts just like the CD/DVD.

After downloading the ISO file, use Rufus for making a pen-drive bootable with OS.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Windows 7 Image files will come around 4-8 GB depending on which version, extra components, and any other data in it.

( I am generally speaking about the torrent windows 7 images you find around.)

Hope the laptop you bought will be in a working condition very soon.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:26 AM

Systems that come from the factory with Windows installed are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) systems.

Assuming that your VAIO came from the factory with Windows installed that makes it an OEM system.

Using the Windows Product Key on the sticker from an OEM system you will not be downloading any software from Microsoft as they only allow downloading ISO images for retail and System Builder product keys so you won't have any "luck" there but you can sure try.

Microsoft will not allow downloading Windows 7 ISOs using OEM product keys.

The sticker should also tell you the Windows Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) so you must use that same edition when you reinstall - if you want the installation to activate/authenticate.

Take a look at this WWW site where you can still download Windows ISO images:

http://windowsiso.net/windows-7-iso/windows-7-download/

Assuming your system is capable of booting from a flash/thumb drive rufus is a good choice for putting your ISO onto a flash drive which will become bootable and you can install Windows from there.  A few clicks and you are done.

If you want to make a bootable CD/DVD then I like ImgBurn but perform a custom installation and uncheck the "free" offers and changes it wants to make to your system with the default installation:

http://www.imgburn.com/

Edited by joseibarra, 29 August 2017 - 01:26 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:17 AM

4. I am also thinking about replacing the hard drive, ....perhaps it is the hard drive problem/ virus that made the seller to sell at the first place,...should I get the windows7 back to the original hard drive FIRST, then using the clone software to copy/paste the windows7 onto the new solid state drive? Is this the proper way to do it? 

Half Right !

Once Windows is loaded on the Old Drive , connect the New Drive Via a " Usb Powered Adapter" , and with Clone Software then Clone across to the New , then Swap out Drives and Reboot

Copy and Paste will not work , or even comes into the Cloning Process.

The existing Drive should be Ok , try that first and load Win 7.

If it fails , Install the new SSD and load Win 7 / Then save an Image of that Drive to an External Backup Drive.

Edited by Havachat, 29 August 2017 - 03:19 AM.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

Where and how does one obtain these "Usb Powered Adapter" and "Clone Software" items?

If there are many choices which have you successfully used and would you recommend?

If the old drive has a virus and you clone it to the new drive will the virus come with it?

Edited by joseibarra, 29 August 2017 - 05:21 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

all you need to do is download THE SAME windows 7 version in an ISO file form,

has to be the exact same version of windows 7 or the key will not work,

after you do that download and use RUFUS to create a bootable CD or USB stick (your choice)

then you can install windows using the bootable device you created,

when prompted during the install for the product key, enter the key on the computer,

its easy

#7 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

Gentlemen/ Ladies, 

Thank you so much for yr response, truly helpful...yeah, the Windows7 I believe it's OEM, as you pointed out, I will try to see if I can download & install the ISO files/ or Images as you all told me. 

Quick question on RUFUS, ...what is the difference between that & Microsoft download tool (?) ...I think i saw it from microsoft's website??

@Joseibarra: i was told that there are connecting adaptor/ cable & cloning software that come with the samsung SSD EVO 850, ....besides, someone passed me a link: http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/free-raid-array-clone-software.htm

it is EASEUS cloning trial version, it works with hard drives running Intel RAID, too. I heard it's pretty good, but i have not tried. 

My another question is, so a flash USB with 15GB is big enough for the download??

Thanks 

Edited by browniebrownie141, 29 August 2017 - 06:52 PM.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:58 AM

You will not be downloading any ISOs from Microsoft with an OEM product key - I don't know why people keep suggesting it when it will not work for (probably) most folks.

You can either post ideas that will work for some systems some of the time or ideas that will work for all systems all of the time.  I will usually go with all systems all of the time.

I have been using rufus since the XP days and have never used the Microsoft software - rufus is usually just a few intuitive clicks to be done with it all.  Never used the stuff that comes with Windows.

You will not be making a bootable CD/DVD with rufus - only USB.

If you want a CD/DVD I would use ImgBurn being sure to choose a custom installation and uncheck these boxes:

[attachment=197423:Untitled.jpg]

Never used EASEUS for cloning and have never actually cloned a hard drive.

A 15GB flash should be fine - all of the ISOs I have are less than 5GB:

[attachment=197421:Untitled.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 30 August 2017 - 01:10 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:02 AM

FWIW:  https://community.sony.com/t5/VAIO-Software-Other-Operating/Restore-computer-to-factory-settings/td-p/27535

Louis

#10 browniebrownie141

browniebrownie141
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

Thank you ALL !

I will be back hopefully with my old-days-dream- Z-series laptop working again....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users