Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with sound and video on a newly built system!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Westgrove

Westgrove

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

Hey everyone! First post here!

I'm currently sitting at work puzzled about why my new home computer is acting like this. So I'm sorry I can't post any screenshots right now, but I can provide quite some detail anyway.

So my old computer (2-3 years) had a memory leak and instead of trying to find new DDR3 ram i decided to build a new machine. I only kept my 750w EVGA power supply and an old 1TB Seagate HDD.
I bought a Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3 motherboard, a Ryzen 5 1600k, 16GB of DDR4 ram, a GTX 1070 OC and a 120GB Kingston SSD. And also a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home.

I had some issues getting windows onto my SSD, but that was eventually resolved. So I started installing programs, and after installing Spotify and starting a track, I heard some stuttering, like the sound was freezing a little bit. I had no idea what the problem was, but it was pretty constant. It seems to appear mostly when I tell the computer to do something, like open a program or making several tabs at once in chrome. So the first thing I did was make 100% sure all drivers were up to date. Many other threads online suggested Realtek audio drivers caused these issues, but i installed the latest version from my motherboard manufacturers website, even repaired the installation, but it didn't solve my issue. I also tried using my external soundcard (A Focusrite Scarlett 2i2), with the latest drivers, to no success. I even uninstalled the realtek drivers and used my soundcard, still no progress.

So I installed a game, PUBG to be exact, and the soundclipping/stuttering was even worse. Especially during the dropping from the plane part of the game, which i am from here on out using as my test to see if it works properly, but quickly closed and went on a troubleshooting spree.

I ran a memtest, no issues detected. I downloaded HWMonitor and checked temperatures, not a single component over 50° Celsius at any time during any test.
I installed anither fresh copy of windows on a partition of my HDD, the issue still remains.

So the last thing i did before leaving for work tonight was using my old graphics card to do my PUBG test, but this time i had the task manager page open, and noticed that when the stuttering occurs my CPU usage spikes. Not ever spiking to above approx. 40% though.

So I figured I would run Cinebench and watch my stuttering go absolutely wild, but it didnt. Even though my CPU usage went up to 100%, absolutely no stuttering occured, at all, so that leads me to my summary of all this.

My issue is somehow affecting my CPU usage, but my CPU usage isn't the cause of the problem.

That's all I can really figure out. I have tried quite a lot of different things but I am no technician by any stretch.

The reason I submit this wall of text is to hopefully not make anyone suggest something I've already tried, saving all of us some time.

I would also like to apologize for my English, as it is not my first language.

Thank you for your attention everyone!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

Welcome and your English is amazing. Please download Speccy https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard. Speccy is a free diagnostic tool that shows the specs of your computer and information that could help determine a problem. When it finishes please click the file button, click Publish Snapshot, the click Copy to Clipboard. Return here and paste the link and post the new message.

I'm thinking this is a software related issue but the Speccy report may help.

#3 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:56 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GHkpzpnWyMZAFjQFXfvAQUn

I should also mention I updated my Bios to the latest version from Gigabyte's website, obviously that didn't help either.

Thanks for any reply!

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

To try the easy things first have you uninstalled Spotify to see if it might be causing your problems?

Edited by HyperHenry, 29 August 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#5 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Well since I've lately tested by playing music from YouTube and have had two different windows installations on two different drives I'm pretty sure Spotify isn't the issue. And honestly not having Spotify on my computer isn't really a fix, it's most likely the program I use the most on a daily basis and i feel like this computer with these specs should be able to handle it :P This is hitting me hard, I'm 19 and spent my entire salary to build this and no one around me is able to help at all haha

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

windows 10, sound issues.

a big problem which fixes a lot of sound issues is the enhanced features.  you need to disable them.

windows 10 enabled some Dolby Noise reduction Features and it totally messes with the audio system.

I'm not sitting in front of my windows 10 machine right now, i'm at work.

so go into your control panel and the select sounds,  then search for the "disable enhanced features" box and check it so it disables the Doldby stuff.

i think if you right click your default speaker in the playback box and select properties a box will open and under one of the tab you will see the Disable Enhanced Features"

just look for it you'll find it.

this will disable the Dolby stuff that's not even listed in the enhanced box.  and will probably fix your issues.

let us know how it works out for you.

#7 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

Hey Mightywiz, I tried what you suggested, but it doesn't seem to have helped the issue. Something I noticed now when I'm sitting here with just chrome open is that if I have a separate window with just youtube and a song playing, the stuttering starts when I minimize the window. Though that seems to be a different problem than the one I have when I open a game. Because when the sound stutters in a game I don't have the game minimized, and no music playing in the background.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

my kids computer was doing some stuttering issues and low frame rate...   i did some malware/adware scans and removed some infections and also ran CCleaner (don't do the registry scan-can cause you more trouble if something goes wrong), but i did do the basic can for temp files and it removed a bunch of temp stuff.   then did a defrag on the HDD and it seemed to fix his problems.

you give that a try and see if it helps you out.

#9 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hey again mightywiz, I will try running a malware search and clear temp files, but since the issue still remains when i unplug my HDD and ONLY use my brand new Kingston SSD which only has windows and freaking chrome on it I struggle to believe that would be the cause. As previously mentioned I'm no computer technician but from my pov it has to be either faulty hardware or a driver that isn't working as intended or one I'm missing. I will however try what you suggested, all advice is helpful!

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

don't do the defrag on a SSD drive

#11 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

I wasn't planning on doing that, I'll just do the malware scan and the CCleaner when I get home and see if it helps :)

#12 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

The stuttering has become a lot worse, even though I ran CCleaner. Now it's like the entire system freezes up every 2 seconds and every action happens 2 seconds after I make them. I am losing my mind right now, so much money is standing here beside me being of no use what so ever. 

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:33 AM

Do you have a PSU you can put in it and try? I'm beginning to suspect that's what the problem might be. Also can you boot into your bios and check the voltages?

#14 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

I don't have an other PSU handy right now, but are these the values you are looking for?

Attached Files

Edited by Westgrove, 30 August 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#15 Westgrove

Westgrove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:53 PM

Also I'm terribly sorry for the cellphone pics on a computer screen, it's a cardinal sin, but I don't know how to screenshot in the bios :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users