Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tweaking Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bug1971

bug1971

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

Hello everyone, I was just wandering what you guys think about tweaking. I see many websites that claim to make windows 10 faster by  tweaking a few settings. Here is my sytem specifications, with high to medium end systems is it even worth it. i do know to get more speed  you need more ram, ssd and a better processor. is there any tweaks out there that would result in a speed boost. Please give me your thoughts    http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VBDmIGxeQa7E76hI36N2mih

Edited by bug1971, 28 August 2017 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

That's true, all computer manufacturers, as well as Microsoft, are thinking only of how to make slower computers. They have employed many engineers, who must do this.
And then some kind cow boy (or cowboy) from the street does one little move and everything will run much faster. Only iy is interesting, why they are only cowboys, but not an engineers on their own good factories. In this logic should be something wrong. Or isn't? 

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:52 PM

Performance can, of course, be influenced by specific settings but exactly how it is influenced is really strongly dependent on what you're actually doing, processing wise.  What can optimize one thing can de-optimize another.

Unless you are having a specific issue I would leave well enough alone.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Just keep start up programs to a minimum, or none at all.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

Just keep start up programs to a minimum, or none at all.

That, too.  It's amazing how much junk (even if it might be useful, it's not if you don't use it) gets started on Windows systems at startup that can be easily eliminated.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

When it comes to optimizing and speeding up Windows, It has always gone like this: Strip it down from everything that you don't need or have a use for and you will usually feel a decrease of operational load and an increase of speed up to ~50%. Also, don't tinker with anything that you don't know about before doing a back-up. :)

Back in the Windows XP days I used to have my PC set up as close as possible to a terminal to the Internet. I had no icons on my desktop (had disabled them from the desktop's Properties), no Recycle Bin (had disabled it from the registry), no wallpaper, no Start Menu/Task Bar (had chosen the option for it to remain hidden until a mouse cursor hovers over it) and had put Firefox.exe in the Startup folder, and prioritized it via msconfig, so that once the computer is powered on, it takes no more than 20 seconds and no extra clicking before I am presented with my Firefox's Google Search home page with a blinking text cursor line, asking me "Where to next?". It was as close as you could tweak Windows XP to a terminal to the Internet as you could get.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 28 August 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

I keeps my OS, Programs, music, videos, games, photos, files all on separate partitions. This lessens things getting bogged down by having to much one one drive.

#8 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Thanks guys for the great info. I play a lot of high end games and even though my system easily  handles any game out there I was just curious about squeezing out every bit of performance and if so is it even worth it. Will I notice a frame rate increase or faster load times. Thanks again guys.

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:21 AM

Hi, well there are many modifications (from nagle's algorithm, to telemetry services) that a gamer will want to modify, I am surprised no one noticed that you use Webroot secure everywhere, which should have a firewall, you also have windows firewall enabled, two firewalls do not play nicely together. I seriously suggest you use only windows defender and windows firewall. Ms are increasingly hardening security and Defender integrates with the OS better than any other product, it's security protection is as good if not better then most other products.

One area that is seriously overlooked is the need for a good solid adequate power supply, we sell gaming machines and nothing under 1000w with gold standard goes out.

For commercial reasons I won't go further, however if you do want to modify your machine be careful and always seek advice, places like this are good, although gamer forum's are likely to attract more of the true enthusiasts.   

#10 bug1971

bug1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:46 AM

Thank you so much. I trust you guys a hell of a lot more then I trust a website. thats why I always come here because I know I will be steered in the right direction.you guys are awesome. thanks again

Edited by bug1971, 29 August 2017 - 06:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users