Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 disneycast

disneycast

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:11 PM

What is a registry cleaner and how do i get one? or do i already have one? i have xp professional

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:36 PM

Below is a link that will tell you more than you probably wanted to know about Windows Registry.
Generally, changing anything in the registry when there is no problems is a risk not worth taking. There numerous registry cleaners free and otherwise. There are numerous reported problems after using these programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

I suggest that unless you are fully literate in writing to the registry you stay away from it as altering it is the easiest and fastest way to incapacitate your operating system.

Registry cleaners alter the registry.

Unless you are having problems I recommend you not use any but if you feel you must make sure you create a backup of the registry first.

If you are having a problem tell us what it is and we will try to help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users