Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Overheat Crashing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Diplomatti

Diplomatti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:44 PM

For some reason my CPU has started to get hot for seemingly no reason, Right now its at 4% load but 60'c!

My CPU is a i7 4790K and the cooler for it is a Corsair H100i and with the 2 120mm fans on the radiator, i have 3 other 120mm fans in the case, 2 front 1 rear.

It hasn't always been like this, i used to get 25'c Idle temps, but about 50'c is the lowest idle i get now. and since my last crash, The temp has reached 93'c.

Bios settings are at the default values.

I'm wondering if something is starting to break down.

I feel like i can't even use my computer without worrying its going to overheat and crash.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

not sure how you are coming up with these temps,

i suggest you download and run speccy to show the temps, post that log here,

if the cpu really is that hot, i would suggest removing the heatsink/fan assembly unit from the cpu and give it a good cleaning,

then apply new thermal paste before reinstalling

#3 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Using Corsair Link to see the temps. & Speccy shows the same. I had already replaced the thermal paste but its not had an effect on the temperatures.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

Can you please provide us with the specs on your computer?

#5 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @4.00Ghz

RAM: 16GB dual channel DDR3

MoBo: Asus Z97-A

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 980 4GB

HDD: 1GB Seagate & 120GB Sandisk SSD (OS installed)

PSU: Corsair CX750

Strangely, despite NOTHING being different between yesterday and today, and with me doing the same things on my computer, the temperatures are better, idle at 38'C, watching youtube 44'C playing PCars 70'c .

I'm Baffled by it. I'm sure its become sentient and is having mood swings or something.

Edited by Diplomatti, 29 August 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

Can you please post the Speccy link so we can see other values that might help? Also what do you have for a PSU?

Edited by HyperHenry, 29 August 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

That's one thing computers don't do :)

The contact between CPU and cooler block should be easy to verify by the thermal paste spread if you remove the block.  If it's good, the paste should be pressed out to a very thin layer across the CPU heatspreader. If it's not good, the spread won't be even, or be thick. Too much paste acts as an insulator and will reduce cooling performance.

There's the potential for all in one water coolers to fail through leakage, bad water pump etc.  If water isn't pumped around the system, it will suffer heat soak and eventually overheat.  Is the radiator getting warm, indicating it's removing heat from the CPU?

Lastly I wouldn't consider it until other options ruled out, but I think it's possible for the thermal interface between the CPU core and the heatspreader to degrade. These CPU's use thermal paste rather than a soldered heat spreader.  This would, I'm guessing, be most likely after severe overheating over a period. 

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

I am beginning to think that the pump in my cooler is beginning to fail, Corsair link shows the h100i temp as rather high and it seemed to get alot better at cooling after i gave it a flick with my finger, like i've given it a jump start or something. I'm low on money, so i'll buy a cheap cooler when i can and see if there is a difference to determine if it is the cooler that isn't working correctly. And if it is so, i'll get in contact with corsair and see if they will take a look at my cooler and get it sorted.

I just find it very odd that one day its fine and the next its too hot, then its fine again the day after.

My PSU is a Corsair CX750. i forgot the mention that, i'll add that to my other post.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

Got a box cooler still you can try?  It's not good enough for overclocking, but it should keep it within reasonable limits at standard speeds/voltages.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 05:56 PM

hmm, i think my computer is hot-boxing itself... Playing Pcars, temps reaching 90, i pause and remove the side cover and temps drop by 20-25 degrees! Went into bios and made sure the rear case fan is set to spin at fastest speed full time to try and help it cool but with cover back on that didn't help too much.

I have 4 Intake fans (2 on radiator, 2 in front) and 1 exhaust. Perhaps 1 isn't enough? I believe my CPU and the Corsair h100i cooler are working just fine.

Edited by Diplomatti, 01 September 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#11 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

Have you tried blowing the dust out of your cpu, GPU, fans etc. The Speccy link I requested in post #6 might offer some answers but you haven't posted it yet.

#12 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Speccy text file attached.

I just got F12017, CPU overheat crash midway through first practice session. The speccy report was taken after booting up computer and leaving it idle for 5mins.

I keep my computer fairly dust free, i use compressed air every few months on the radiator, and the fans are all quite new and clean anyway. Computer case has dust filters on all the intakes which i clean every few days.

Attached Files

Edited by Diplomatti, 03 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

The Speccy report shows that your Seagate HDD is failing. To double check it I'd like you to run the Seagate Tools for Windows.

Segate’s Seatools for Windows is really easy to use. It enables the Windows users to probe the performance of their disks and evaluate their current state. The diagnostic tool performs several basic tests that help to determine the health of the hard drive.
It can test all types of internal drives including SCSI, PATA, SATA, etc. Besides this; it can also test external drives (USB or FireWire). If the drive passes SeaTools for Windows, troubleshooting can proceed to other areas.
To test the software for its functionality, simply download and install it on your Windows computer.
Once you run it and select the drive to be tested, a  menu of the possible diagnostic tests is shown.  With the exception of Long Generic which offers the option to repair sectors on USB external drives, all other Basic Tests are data safe, read only tests.  Select the tests that you would like to perform.  The test will begin immediately.
These tests include:
• SMART Check
• Short Drive Self Test: 20 to 90 seconds long
• Long Drive Self Test: may take up to 4 hours, progress in 10% increments
• Drive Information: can be saved to the Log file
• Short Generic: three-part test
• Long Generic: progress in 1% increments, sector repair option for USB external
• Advanced Tests.
It is important to note that if the above procedure fails you may have to consider replacing the non-functional hard drive with a new one.

#14 Diplomatti

Diplomatti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:31 PM

Done the shorter tests;

Short DST - Started 03/09/2017 19:20:46
Short DST - Pass 03/09/2017 19:21:54
SMART - Started 03/09/2017 19:22:30
SMART - Pass 03/09/2017 19:22:35
Short Generic - Started 03/09/2017 19:23:02
Short Generic - Pass 03/09/2017 19:24:40

Doing the longer ones now. although i'm not certain how a failing hdd can affect cpu overheating so much.

#15 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Also Please download http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html. When finished please click the Windows key and prnt scrn. You find the screenshot in the Pictures folder in a subfolder called screenshots. Please upload it here. This will help show temps. The temps on the Speccy looked good but this is a much better test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users