Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chipset driver installation package

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hansb1

hansb1

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

what happens if you execute a chipset driver installation package and the package does not recognize the chipset?

I ask it because i would execute the chipset installation package of the chipset RTL8812AU while i have the asus usb wlan adapter ac56 which would have the chipset rtl8812AU following the information on the internet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

Have you tried the Realtek site for the driver?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=64&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

#3 hansb1

hansb1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

I speak about that realteak driver installation package.

I didn't have tried anything untill now.

The asus ac56 is a plug and play windows 10 device but the plug and play driver seems to have problems.I still have to buy the device.

So i would execiute the realteak driver installation package.

But i ask myself can there go something wrong when the realteak driver installation package does not recognize the asus ac56?

Or will i see the driver installation package will not succeed the installation of the driver and nothing happens which means my plug and play driver continues to work?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

If I understand correctly you have not purchased the USB dongle yet and would like to know if the driver will self-install (plug and play) when attached to the Windows 10 computer. 

I am not sure but I believe it will. I suggest you post in the ASUS forum. After reading this thread you may want to consider a different dongle for Windows 10. It seems the ASUS driver is buggy.

The support page shows the latest driver available for Windows 10 is dated Feb 2016 which includes the software utility but I don't believe this is required in order for the USB dongle to connect.

#5 hansb1

hansb1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:29 AM

sorry but you didn't understand me correctly: i had no question about the plug and play driver but about the realteak installation package:

I ask myself can there go something wrong when the realteak driver installation package does not recognize the asus ac56?

Or will i see the driver installation package will not succeed the installation of the driver and nothing happens which means my plug and play driver continues to work?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,227 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

Usually if a driver fails nothing will happen, especially if the driver does not recognize the device.  but if it does you can go to Device Manager and select "Revert Driver". Also, creating a Restore Point will let you revert before the driver installs. It's always wise to create a Restore Point before the driver install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users