Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Overclocking failed!' error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Atrebas

Atrebas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

Hi,

I had this issue for the second time within the space of one week. I start up my PC which powers on for a few seconds then turns off. When it succeeds in powering up I am led to a screen saying 'overclocking failed!' I enter the BIOS and click on a 'use default settings' option and continue to windows with no further error. 

I would like to try and prevent this from happening again, and to understand what the error actually is. I know nothing about computer hardware. 

I will add below some PC specs below, please let me know if you want additional details.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i5-2500K

GTX Titan Black

I should mention this PC is second-hand, built by a friend. I have not tinkered with it in anyway myself. I am waiting to hear back from him as to whether he ever had this issue but I doubt it as I have owned it now for several months without this error occurring.  

Many thanks for any assistance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

The error means that the computer has failed to POST (power on self test) with the saved BIOS settings. It is then prompting you to load default (safe) settings to get a working computer again.

If you are seeing it and you are not trying to overclock the computer, and you have already loaded and saved optimised default settings, then it's possible something else is happening.  My guess, given the age of the computer is that the BIOS battery may be on it's way out.  They typically last about 5-6 years.  They normally use a common CR2032 coin type cell, very widely sold and pretty cheap.

Good article here about changing it and the type of errors a dead battery can cause - http://ccm.net/faq/625-replacing-the-battery-of-your-motherboard-cmos-battery

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Atrebas

Atrebas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:06 AM

Thank you for your informative help. I will replace the battery when I can and see if the problem gets resolved. 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

No problem. You're welcome.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:13 PM

I'll second jonuk76, replacing the CMOS battery will most likely resolve your issue.  I've seen this on my system with an Asus motherboard.  I'll get the message every few months and then eventually more and more often.  Replacing the CMOS battery resolves the problem.

#6 Atrebas

Atrebas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

Cool, thank you Kilroy for sharing your opinion on my problem also. Cheers.

#7 Atrebas

Atrebas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

So I have replaced the battery and the problem remains. 

Prior to replacing the battery the PC would not power up, only for a few seconds and then it would turn off. I have managed to get it to power up successfully to windows since replacing the battery but it still takes repeated attempts. Also, when it does successfully power up it does nothing for about 30 seconds before finally getting to the 'overclocking failed' screen. After telling it to use default settings it then does nothing for about another 30 seconds until it reboots itself to windows without further issue. 

So, what is the next step I should take?

Edit: A quick edit to note the last two times I started it up the PC was fine, no issue at all. So it is being a bit inconsistent if that means anything? I'll report back on its behaviour again tomorrow.  

Edited by Atrebas, 04 September 2017 - 01:04 PM.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

I would look closely at the battery holder.  I've seen quite a few that have been in place too long and leaked all over the holder.  It took some alcohol, a q-tip and a small file to clean the older and scrap the metal contacts clean.

#9 Atrebas

Atrebas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

Ok thanks for the advice. Today I used the PC twice without issue so I shall see how it fairs over the next week. 

#10 Atrebas

Atrebas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:42 AM

Quick update - It has been a number of months now and I think I have discovered the culprit, but I am not certain. I noticed the power on button sometimes sticks inwards when turning the PC on, so I began making sure to flick it free. That seems to have stopped my issue. Perhaps not, maybe a coincidence. But that is where I am with this issue so far and thought I'd leave this update in case it helps anyone else trying to solve a similar problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users