Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unallocated space on my HDD

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

I have 500GB HDD out of which 50 GB is unallocated ( I can't use it ). 

Is it safe to allocate it back ? Or is there a good reason why it's unallocated ? 

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 28 August 2017 - 07:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

For best performance you do want 10% free.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Where is the unallocated section located on the drive? If it is at the end of the drive, normally you can extend the closest existing partition to include the unallocated space. Normally there would be no reason for such a large amount of space to remain unallocated, unless it is an SSD. Sometimes an SSD is left with unallocated space to provide a reserve of unused blocks to be available for wear leveling to supplement any internal over-provisioning already incorporated in the drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

I have already mentioned that it is an HDD and I don't know where that unallocated space is located, nor do I know how to check the location.

So if I connect that unallocated space to, let's say my system drive - will it have noticeable negative impact on performance of the drive ?

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 28 August 2017 - 08:10 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

How did you determine you had unallocated space of 50GB? Normally the only place you can determine unallocated space other than the command line is Disk Management and that would tell you if the 50GB is before or after your System Partition. 

Open Disk Management. Right Click Computer > Manager > Disk Managment. Post a screenshot.

#6 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

My screenshot is apparently in an unsupported format ( png )

I went to disk management, that's how I have noticed that there is 50GB unallocated in the first place but now after rechecking I have realized that it was not on my hdd, it was on my usb drive ! It is a bit complicated - I have installed Tails on my usb and it changed the usb size to 2,5 GB, unallocating the rest. Upon realizing this I have moved Tails to a smaller usb and allocated the space on my larger usb back via bootice.

So I actually don't have any unallocated space on my HDD that I know of. 

I think that this thread should be closed to avoid confusion.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for the update and am glad you have sorted out the problem.

#8 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

alright, thanks for sparing your time 

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

As long as the issue is resolved, that's what matters. Thanks for getting back with the result. Resolved topics are not normally closed unless there's a special reason to do so.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Info item:  Unallocated space...and free space on a partition...are two distinctly different items.

Free space on any partition only becomes an issue on the partition on which Windows is installed, with a suggested recommendation of 15% on a hard drive which is now considered small (less than 1TB).

Unallocated space is never an issue on any Windows install and can be used to increase the total amount of space reflected by a given partition...to create another partition...or left as unallocated space.

Disk management will reflect all partitions, all unallocated space, and all free space on any partition.  Partition managers will also reflect all partitions and unallocated space...I'm not sure that they reflect free space on a given partition.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 August 2017 - 09:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users