Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

e-mail malware - bad

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

I got an email in Thunderbird yesterday that I knew was garbage, so I deleted it. I only got that one email, though, so I tried again, and there it was again - and the other 40 never arrived. I deleted it from everything, including trash and junk.  It stays on the server, and butts in ahead of any other email when I download them.  In effect, I can't get any email.

But it's worse than that. My open windows keep going nonresponsive after a few minutes. I can't end them  because Task Manager also becomes nonresponsive. I have to turn off the PC and start again.

So I've downloaded Avast Free, because it checks incoming email.  I ran a scan, but it got stuck at 83%, and after that, I couldn't either stop the scan or close the window. Seems this bug knows how to protect itself.

Can you help?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 August 2017 - 07:04 PM.
Moved from Windows 7 to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:25 AM

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for your response. The first instruction is to back up my data.  How can I do that when most  of what is on my HD are videos of movies. The files are too large to burn to a CD.  I absolutely do NOT want to lose them.

I will NOT use any program that doesn't let me choose each step.  I once tried CCleaner and lost  all my videos. I never  want to go through that again.

HOW can I back up my data?  On a new hard drive, maybe?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next. (If you don't want to do a backup...don't.)
  •  

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

I DO  want to back up, especially my videos. Aside from another new hard drive, is there any way of  saving these big files to CDs?

Do they make rewritable CDs that hold up to a gig? 

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Rewriteable DVDs can hold more than four GBs. Dual layered DVDs can hold more than 8 GBs.

CDs can hold 700 mbs.

#7 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

I thought CDs and DVDs were the same, except DVDs  were already full of things like movies and software.

Shows  how up to date I am.

My CD device is:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20 ATA According to Device Manager.

If I get disks of the type you mentioned, will this device work? Will I be able to write to those disks with this device? Will I need  a special program to write my videos to them, and if so, what program?

My problem gets worse every day. Windows and  tabs open up already not responding. They respond after a while

It will take time for me to buy the disks. This is because I'm in a wheelchair and live in Mexico. To just nip out to a store is not  possible for me anymore.I won't be able to come back here for a while. It could be weeks. Can you put this on hold till I return?

Thanks again,

Holly

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

That driver is for a device capable of writing to DVDs. Test one first before attempting to copy ALL videos to DVDs. Copy one and then see if it plays correctly or not.

Sounds like your computer is almost unusable. It may be best to eliminate malware as the cause first before attempting to backup. I suggest you

follow the instructions for posting in the malware removal forum as soon as possible.

#9 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

Thanks,  but I want to  save my videos apart  from this machine. It IS usable, but  very slow. So I'll be back when I have saved the videos. Then I can scan them separately.

it's a shame that nobody has found ways to correct the data that malware puts on files - seems all that can be done is to erase the file itself, rather than repairing it.

Here's a quote you may like, from Isaac Asimov: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."  These days, you might find it handy.

Thanks again,

Holly

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

No reason to think that the pros that will help you remove the malware will damage any file...especially video files.

I read Asimov's The Trilogy (I think that was what it was called or maybe it was a collection of his sci-fi books) decades ago.

Good quote.....

#11 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

Since I had such a bad experience with CCleaner  removing a bunch of video files, I've been too nervous to trust my videos again. It  was  hard to  get them back last time, and now I have many more. I'll feel better plunking them elsewhere than on my HD. I've become over-protective, I guess.

I'm not faulting the pros, but I have to wonder why "curing" an infection is always done by quarantining or erasing the file it attached itself to, rather than deleting the poison out of that file, leaving the file clean.  I'm also dismayed that there is little to no investigations and prosecutions against people who write and distribute malware. They know they can always get away with it, so we have a LOT more of it.

Have you read Prelude to Foundation, and the precursors which are his robot novels, especially the Lige Baley ones. There are also three  others that come AFTER the Trilogy. I'd never cried when an author died until Asimov did. Can you imagine what his  thoughts would be of things like 9/11 and our present new "regime"? Maybe he was lucky he didn't live to see them. I can almost wish I hadn't.If you can still get it, his "The Universe, from Flat Earth to Quasar" was a turning point in my life. I realized I really COULD understand a lot about astronomy. So I ended up organizing an expedition of 50 people to  the solar eclipse in Canada in 1979.  Such fun.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:04 PM

Then you may appreciate this 1981 essay of his....The Threat of Creationism, by Isaac Asimov - YouTube

Full text at  THE 'THREAT' OF CREATIONISM - NYTimes.com

Foundation sounds familiar...I think that was part of the Trilogy...I may look up his other sci-fis.

Whatever problem you experienced with CCleaner is very rare. Using its default settings...those that are created during install...are absolutely harmless.

Security programs and the pros here at BC remove malware WITHOUT destruction of your systems files. You've got some bad advice/ info concerning

that. Now, if you take your computer into a shop it is not unusual for those employees to simply wipe everything and reinstall the OS. Most are not trained

in malware removal.

Edited by buddy215, 02 September 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#13 faster

faster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

It's good to learn that some malware can be removed without killing the file it attached itself to. Usually, all you could do was replace the original file if it's backed up. I have a respect for computer geek pros that borders on reverence. I've been told my intelligence is in the upper 5  percent, but I can't rely on it, especially when these pros understand something I can't begin to encompass. It's like the old saying, "know thy limits." I can't help but know my own.

Thanks for  the Asimov essay. I hadn't encountered it before. My father was a pioneer in the field of Biochemistry. I had always wanted to write Asimov to ask if he'd studied my dad's textbook. As a new science, he almost certainly had to!  After he died, I could have kicked myself for not writing him.

It's a shame he died before 9/11 and this new regime. He'd have had some very cogent (maybe even pungent!) things to say about them. But it was likely a mercy, for him, that he never had to learn of such things. After this last election, I have often wondered if maybe, at 72, I had lived too long. It's not a good time to be young in.

Thanks again. Hugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users