Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I check if Windows boot is corrupted and fix it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gak1952

gak1952

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hi,

I've got a boot problem with my Dell Inspiron 7559 laptop.

I sent it to Dell for a replacement of the ethernet card. I kept the hard drive for obvious reasons. Once I got it back, I re-installed the hard drive and booted up. Unfortunately, I got hard drive not found/not recognized errors (I forget the exact wordings). 

I ran Dell diagnostics which reported all components (including cables and hard drive) were fine!. I next ran hard drive test software on the drive in an external dock.  Three (Macrorit, EaseUS Partition Master and Western Digital Drive Tester all give the drive a clean bill of health. Three others, however, all HD Sentinel, HDD Scan and  Crystal Disk Info all report various degrees of ill-health. Screen shots of the results of these six tests are attached in a PDF file.

I naturally didn't have a drive backup. I have a lot of software I can't re-install easily or probably at all, so I don't want to do a Windows re-install. I was able to do Macrium and Realtek Drive Image XML image copies of the drive when I had the drive in an external dock. I had no trouble reading and navigating the drive. So I assume that if there is a problem with the drive it is in the bios/boot settings/Windows boot or that physical section of the drive when these settings are etc. are located.

I've posted my problem on the Bleeping Computer Windows Crashes BSOD and Hangs Forum. One response suggested I post here and ask for assistance in manually checking and fixing bios/boot files and corrupt Windows 10 operating systems.

I've found some possible software here and here, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I need.

If anyone has any suggestions of how I should proceed here and any software I should try, I would be very grateful indeed.

My circumstances right now are:

1. The drive will not boot at all in the Dell laptop. It is not recognized during boot. However, Dell diagnostics clearly sees it and it is recognized and identified as a Seagate Sata Drive in Bios.
  2. I have tried all suggested solutions relating to bios settings t can find from Googling the problem. 
  3. I can easily read and navigate through the drive with Windows explorer when I have the drive in an external dock.
  4. I have disk image files of the drive after it failed to boot
  5. I don't have another internal 2.5 drive that I load the disk image files to so as to see if the laptop would boot off another drive.
  6. Hard drive testing software gives ambiguous answers as to the health of the drive. 

My thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice anyone might be able to give me.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

Hi, I am a little confused (not unusual) you say you sent your computer to Dell to have a Ethernet card replaced , and it came back with this problem? Or did you remove the HDD before sending the unit to Dell? It the latter, how did Dell install the Ethernet drivers onto  your HDD? As this started with Dell I would send it back.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

was this under warranty for them to fix it?

if so, i am surprised dell would fix it under warranty if you removed the hard drive, something like that would normally void a warranty,

how could they test their repair without the hard drive installed?

it could be something they did during the repair,

i would send it back

Edited by mikey11, 27 August 2017 - 06:32 PM.

#4 gak1952

gak1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

Yes, the laptop is under warranty. The Dell technician said I could take the drive out and return the laptop without it. I didn't want to send my hard drive with all my passwords etc. to Dell. They were protected within Sticky Password, but you can never be too careful.

I could send it back, but I've been in touch with Dell and their solution is to re-install Windows, which is the very last thing I want to do.

Before I re-install I want to see if i can check/correct/repair possible boot file problems.

Thanks for your suggestions. I very much appreciate them.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

Unfortunately, I got hard drive not found/not recognized errors (I forget the exact wordings). 

try to start it up again and post the EXACT wordings/errors here

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

You can use Windows 10 installation media to run a repair.  But in order to be able to do this you will need to be able to boot into the BIOS/UEFI to change the boot order so that which ever type of installation media boots first and then the hdd.

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

If you wish to use a flash drive to create the installation media you will find a good tutorial for doing this here.

If you wish to use a DVD to create the installation media you can use the instructions below.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  You will need to chosse the CD/DVD drive you wish to use, then click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

5.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Once you have created the installation media and changed the boot order in the BIOS place the installation media you intend to use (disk or flash drive) and restart the computer.

You will receive a message telling you to press any key to continue, I usually just press the space bar.

Window installation will start, when this happen you will see the option Repair in the lower left portion of the screen, click on this.

When the System Recovery Options open select Startup Repair and allow it to run.

Once this is complete you will need to go back into the BIOS and change the boot order back to the way it was originally.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 gak1952

gak1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

Dear Bleeping Tree Hugger,

Thanks for your advice and information. I'm going to download the installation media tonight and run it sometime tomorrow as you suggest.

Here's hoping.

Thanks again for your help. I very much appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users