Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 not keeping correct time

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Digital Valdosta

Digital Valdosta

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

My Windows 10 Pro installation will not keep the correct time. This has been ongoing for several weeks now. I have done the following:

* Replaced CMOS battery

* Ran a scan with my antivirus (Avast)

* Ran several scans (different times with updates) with Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware

* Manually set time

* Enabled Internet time and configured for time.nist.gov several times only to have it go back to this after shutdown:

Attached File  Capture-NTS.JPG   40.88KB   1 downloads

I know this seems like an easy fix, but I feel like there's something erroneous at work here. I have exhausted everything I know and haven't found anything searching the web that is working.

Thank you for any help.

(As a side note, not sure if it is relevant to this, but I have had issues with a couple sites like FB and Amazon "appear" not available or site not found. I verified the address was correct. Purged cookies via a SA scan. Now able to get online with them. Both sites' issues experienced weeks apart.)

Edited by Digital Valdosta, 27 August 2017 - 03:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:31 PM

You have already dealt with the 'Usual Suspect' - the CMOS battery !

Two things. I notice that in the image you posted that while you have 'time.nist.gov' showing in the box you do do not have the tick box ticked. The other, check that your BIOS/UEFI is showing the correct system time as well. It should be but can show a different time which can cause problems.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Hi, yes check the BIOS/UEFI in addition the service "Windows Time" is set to start manually(trigger). Go to services and stop the service if it is started, then restart the service, with the service started set your time, Leave the service setting at the defaults. Restart computer and check how your time is now.

#4 opera

opera

• Members
  • 970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:23 AM

Have  a look here at the most common fixes.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-clock-time-wrong-fix

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:29 PM

Your new CMOS battery may be faulty as well. Had that happen to me once.

#6 Digital Valdosta

Digital Valdosta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

You have already dealt with the 'Usual Suspect' - the CMOS battery !

Two things. I notice that in the image you posted that while you have 'time.nist.gov' showing in the box you do do not have the tick box ticked. The other, check that your BIOS/UEFI is showing the correct system time as well. It should be but can show a different time which can cause problems.

Chris Cosgrove

The network time "tick box", I did try that, but as I had mentioned in my initial post it doesn't stay set. It's more or less intermittent. I have looked into "Opera"s link above and have gone as far as step four. I won't know if it works until I restart it, at which time I will post an update.

I'll also look into the BIOS/UEFI in the mean time and post that with my update.

Thank you for everyone's help.

Edited by Digital Valdosta, 29 August 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#7 Digital Valdosta

Digital Valdosta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

Ok, so I have done everything mentioned in http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-clock-time-wrong-fix to include setting my BIOS time and CMOS battery. The time will stay correct for a while and then falls behind. It is currently 6:34PM and my time says 4:01PM. I'm not sure what else there is to be done.

Open to any other suggestions.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

I still think you got a bad CMOS battery as a replacement. Your problem sounds exactly like a CMOS battery issue.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:30 PM

How quickly does the time fall behind?

I haven't read the article previously referenced, but have you considered a utility such as Atomic Clock Sync?  There are others that you can set up to sync your system clock a lot more frequently than the Microsoft built-in utility's default of once per week.

There is also the utility from the National Institute of Standards and Technology, see:  https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/services/internet-time-service-its

Edited by britechguy, 03 September 2017 - 06:33 PM.
Added NIST util

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hi, you don't perhaps dual boot with Linux do you?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

I hate to state the obvious but is the time zone set correctly in Windows? I ran into this problem and it turned out to be the time zone setting.

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

I hate to state the obvious but is the time zone set correctly in Windows? I ran into this problem and it turned out to be the time zone setting.

That could be true if it the hour was wrong but the minutes are wrong too. He's on Eastern time and the only timezone I know of that's 1/2 hour difference would be in New Foundland but that would only be a 30 minute difference not 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Edited by HyperHenry, 03 September 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

That could be true if it the hour was wrong but the minutes are wrong too. He's on Eastern time and the only timezone I know of that's 1/2 hour difference would be in New Foundland but that would only be a 30 minute difference not 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Good point. I missed that. Thanks.

#14 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:18 PM

I still think he got a dud when he bought a new CMOS battery.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users