Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my desktop - need help/suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amecurty

amecurty

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Hi there!

First let me just say that I am not a very knowledgeable person about computers, so I apologize if anything I say (notions, lingo, etc) below this, is somewhat stupid. 

That being said, I am here to ask for help/suggestions about what components to buy to upgrade my desktop.

Here is my current build:

Case CM 690 II
Intel i5 2500K 3.30GHz - OC 4.2GHz
Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
Geforce GTX 970
Corsair TX 750W v2
SDD 250GB Crucial MX100+HDD 1TB Samsung HD103SJ
Win10 Pro 64bits
2x4GB DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 CL11 G-Skill
1x8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 CL10 G-Skill
Cryorig h5 cooler
pen usb wireless asus n-53 

Monitor Asus VE228T

What I am looking for is a new board, case, cpu, psu and ssd. To note that I am especially clueless about probably the most important thing of a desktop - motherboards.

The purpose of these compenents is for a gaming deskop ( Call of duty junkie here :) )

board - I am looking for a new good board that is compatible with newer cpus and probably with more slots for improvements down the road.

case - even though i think my case is already a big one, I think I need a new one that's even bigger because when I bought my GTX 970 I wanted the Gigabyte one with 3 fans but it was just too big to fit inside my current case. The number of connections and air and fan holes is also important. Couldn't care less about what it looks like.

cpu - i think it's time to upgrade it. I have heard somehting about intel launching the 8th generation of cpus which are said to increase the efficiency in 40%. I don't know if those are gonna be too expensive and if i am better off with other options. My preference would be an intel cpu, unless an amd is a better option price/power.

psu - my current psu is probably between 5 and 7 years old. Nowadays, I don't think it has the power it used to have so instead of keeping it now and in about 2 or 3 years buy a new one, I think it would be better to buy a new one and pass the one i have to another computer i have that is less demanding.

ssd - I want to add another one to my build. I'll probably buy at least 250gb more, because i believe that more than that it is still expensive out there. no?

My budget is around 600/700€ (700/830$).. is that realistic?

So if someone could give me any suggestions about components, it would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

There's one big problem, that is Monitor Asus VE228T.

I see no sense upgrading whole system if monitor is 60Hz FullHD.

For CPU side, I see no reason to upgrade into any Intel part. You'll want at least hexa core or more preferably octa core and that means either Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7. For quite old games like Call of Duty, your CPU is just fine so I see no reason to upgrade at least with that budget. GPU prices are very high.

So basically, before even thinking about upgrade, you should be prepared to buy much better monitor. For current monitor there is nothing really wrong with your current system.

I would either sell whole system and build new one from scratch or use that system until you have enough money to make bigger upgrade.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

Here's what I would do with that money:

Buy a GTX 1080 ($514) and a 1440p Monitor (~300)

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:32 AM

Here's what I would do with that money:
Buy a GTX 1080 ($514) and a 1440p Monitor (~300)

GTX1080 is bit overkill for quad core and because current GPU prices are very high, I wouldn't recommend that.

#5 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

Thank you for replying and for your suggestions.

Basically you are saying that the only thing worth keeping are the disks and ram, correct? And what would you guys considered a good budget for these things? Probably my 600-800 were a bit unrealistic for what I have in mind. I really wanted something that would last me for quite a while. When I mentioned call of duty, it was just a reference for the type of games I really like to play and that new releases always tend to be an heavy load on your pc if you play it with max settings, I would say so.

I really thought the gtx 970 was still considered a good gpu.. but there's is a high chance that I've been living under a rock xD.

And about the monitor.. aren't they a bit overpriced?

Also, do you guys think I should wait till xmas? I mean.. considering future releases of hardware?

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

Thank you for replying and for your suggestions.

Basically you are saying that the only thing worth keeping are the disks and ram, correct? And what would you guys considered a good budget for these things? Probably my 600-800 were a bit unrealistic for what I have in mind. I really wanted something that would last me for quite a while. When I mentioned call of duty, it was just a reference for the type of games I really like to play and that new releases always tend to be an heavy load on your pc if you play it with max settings, I would say so.

I really thought the gtx 970 was still considered a good gpu.. but there's is a high chance that I've been living under a rock xD.

And about the monitor.. aren't they a bit overpriced?

Also, do you guys think I should wait till xmas? I mean.. considering future releases of hardware?

RAM is not worth to keep either. So only disks. You want something that will last for a while, you should sell that system and build new one. You also probably have much easier job to sell whole system than just collection of parts.

GTX970 is medium class GPU at most currently.

Monitors are quite expensive if you want something much better than you already have.

Right now GPU, SSD and memory prices are very high. Next year should bring all of them down so it's not bad idea to wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users