Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"a website is slowing down your browser...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

every now and then, i get a pale yellow bar that pops up under my address bar/bookmarks "tabs" (i use Firefox) that says:

a webpage is slowing down your browser.  what would you like to do?  then there are two buttons, "stop it" (dang, now i cant remember what the other button says) and then a box to click to close the notice...

i get this sometimes when i only have my yahoo mail page open and im not even trying to access another site...

ive run Malwarebytes and MS security essentials with mixed results...

any idea what i can scan my computer with to find this and get rid of it, assuming its some sort of virus/malware/rogue file?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/293/ - this is good at removing all sorts of crapware 

https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1-adwcleaner/ - this will remove adware / adware related software

https://zemana.com/en-US/ThankYou/Download?source=download&ProductID=2&IsFree=False&IsPortable=True - an alternative to malwarebytes, it can potentially find something that MB missed and vice versa

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

The other option is "Wait". I am pretty sure that your computer is not infected, but just to be sure, you can download, install and run Malwarebytes, Avast and AdwCleaner. Then, clean your Firefox history and cookies. Then, on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. If the problem persists, it's the Yahoo page's media rich content that is slowing down your browser - try using an extension for Firefox that blocks all pop-ups and videos on all pages and you'd be good to go. Good luck!:)

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:07 PM

In FireFox it may be the Add ons/Plugins.
Try disabling them one at a time and see which one was at fault.

How to disable extensions and plugins

Keeping your third-party plugins up to date
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

With the addition to everyone's tips, if you can't run some programs or disable add-ons, try doing that in Windows "safe mode with networking". I had issues in the past with not being able to launch certain security software.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users