Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Connection problems and understanding how to identify them.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Circuits

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:30 PM

He there so I am having connection issues with my charter cable internet. So when I run a speed test my values can range anywhere from 20-65 Mbps down and 4-5 Mbps up. Usually, I am at about 60 down and 5 up. Now for most of my activities my internet connection works just great. YouTube, and video content like streaming movies (depending on the server) I have no problems with. I only play two video games: league of legends and rocket league (both on PC).

The issues I was referring to earlier I am having while playing Rocket League and I have ruled out it being a problem on their end (I believe). Now when I researched the games website about possible network issues it gave me a few possible network related things to try. Basically what was necessary to rule out the problem being on their end. Including port forwarding, allowing exceptions in my firewall, playing on the nearest server, and restarting the modem and router. 

Here are some of the oddities about my situation that I think might be relevant. My roommate plays the same game on a counsel in the living room directly connected to the router with no lag. I am on via wireless connection no further than 16 feet from the router. My computer has a good network card and I believe the router is pretty well up to date. I know its not my computer because I have taken it elsewhere to different wireless networks and played the game with no problems. So aside from calling the cable company and trying (probably in vain) to possibly troubleshoot this problem I came here because I lack the skill set necessary to navigate this problem any further. 

The issue itself is pretty simple but might take some explaining if you haven't played rocket league. Rocket league is a multiplayer online game that you can play with other people in different parts of the country depending on your server. The version I am playing is hosted by a game company called STEAM. They allow you to buy and play a large variety of games on your PC including some games normally reserved for consoles. So when I double click rocket league it opens up steam and rocket league in order for me to play.

Anyhow, so now that I have loaded up the game I join a random game of some kind and for the majority of my sessions the connection is fine. However, at various times (from what I can tell there is no pattern) my ping spikes and I loose connection briefly, maybe 5 seconds and then it goes down again and I regain the connection.

So whats my next step to try and troubleshoot this problem? 

Edited by britechguy, 28 August 2017 - 05:50 PM.
Moved to Networking Forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Circuits

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

Do I need a static IP for port forwarding to work?

#3 arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:38 PM

First off do you have Wireless Multimedia Services enabled on your router? This is the WiFi equivalent of (QOS) Quality of Service. If your friend is directly connected to your router and he is playing the same game and wireless multimedia services are not enabled this will cause you to have connections issues. Wireless Multimedia Services will ensure your friend is not a bandwidth hog. Also if your game requires forts to be forwarded then you should forward the necessary ports.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#4 Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

Here is a guide for forwarding ports for rocket league.

"Do I need a static IP for port forwarding to work?"

You should have a static LAN ip address for the pc/device playing the game

You have to set what ip address the forwarding is pointing to.  if that hosts lan address changes due to a dhcp assignment the forwarding becomes invalid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users