Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox & Chrome browser protection for Linux Mint

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

Hi all, I am looking to tighten (or to see if it is alright tight enough) the security of the browsers that I use to connect to the internet, namely Firefox & Google Chrome.

I have installed Firejail with default settings and set it up so that when I click on the icon for either browser,  it opens in a sandbox.

For Firefox I have added NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere and Adguard AdBlocker to assist with privacy and keeping the browser and system secure.

Right now, for Google Chrome I dont have any add ons and was wondering if someone could suggest some good ones to add?

I see that HTTPS Everywhere and AdGuard AdBlocker are both available so unless someone advises against doing so , I will add those two. I am wondering whether it would be worthwhile to add an extension like Avast Online Security or McAfee Secure Safe Browsing?

Some examples of what people use or how they set up their own security and privacy for their browsers would be really helpful.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

You might think of adding "Cookie Auto Delete" ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/cookie-autodelete/ ... to your list of add-ons.

Self Destructing Cookies ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/ ... was what I used for ages, but that is not supported by Firefox 55 onwards.

Helps with preventing cross site tracking (tracing) and zombie cookies.

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1250497

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_tracing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_cookie

Personally I use uBlockOrigin ... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss ... as my add-blocker rather than AdGuard, because it seems to use a wider range of blocking lists, but either will do a good job.

Edited by Gary R, 27 August 2017 - 12:54 AM.

#3 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:34 AM

Hi Gary R, thank you for taking the time to respond and offer some suggestions.

I like the efficeny of uBlockOrigin but wonder how it would compare when more filters are added to the default list.

I am mindful not to light my browser up like a Christmas tree by adding too many extensions. I already have three active in Firefox so will leave Cookie Auto Delete for now and swap Adguard AdBlocker for uBlockOrigin and give it a trial.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions Gary R.

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:52 AM

I use some (not all) of the non-default filter lists with uBlockOrigin, and I've not noticed any appreciable performance hit.

To access them hit .... Tools > Add-ons > Extensions > uBlockOrigin ... Options > Show Dashboard > 3rd Party Filters ... and select the ones you want.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

For Google Chrome (all OS's), I've used both uBlockOrigin & Adblock Plus for years, although from time to time, have to disable uBlockOrigin on some sites, or won't be able to view content. When I have to do this, will weigh the importance of what I need (or want) to access versus my personal security. :)

Adblock Plus has been a staple with most all of my browsers since 2009, when first started using with Firefox 3.5 (release candidate), along with NoScript, arguably the best security extension on the market for any browser, there's been imitators of the extension, yet none like it by far. Later on, tried Ghostery, while a good tool for those who can manage the extension (many choices in there), I prefer to use global rules & enable access as needed. Then came uBlockOrigin 2-3 years back, recommended by a member on this site, tried & have stuck with it since. :)

When I want to do online banking, will boot into the latest version of Linux Mint & use the default Firefox as is, while not bulletproof, at least am behind a semi-hardware Firewall in my router called NAT (this is often overlooked by many), have never been compromised to date, although I understand that a disaster is a click away. So when I boot into a Live session for online banking, will use for that purpose only, and only by a burned, finalized DVD, which can't be written further into. A bootable USB stick defeats this security because can be written to. With the Live DVD, no disk access takes place, the session resides in memory only & becomes flushed upon shutdown or reboot.

So depending on what you're doing, booting from a Live DVD can be far more secure than a installed OS, w/out browser extensions. Also, it's important not to light up the browser like a holiday tree with extensions, too many causes one to be less responsive. :)

While there's no 'one size fits all' here, these are good tools to have, and am sure there's others, although as noted above, too many has an impact on performance, if I were to add another, would consider removing or at least disabling another until I see that the extension pans out. 

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users