Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

made bootable dvd from microsoft site - does not boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Old_Feller

Old_Feller

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

Working on a PC that I lost the admin account. I've tried everything, but there is no way to logon as admin.

Decided to install fresh Windows 10. Downloaded image file from microsoft official site. Burned iso to disk using ImgBurn software, and verified integrity. Now I've put disk (dvd-wr) into computer and tried twice. It is not starting from disk.

Could this be because the computer has windows 10 and I'm not working with a administrator account?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

Have you gone into UEFI and changed the boot order?   You don't mention that, and the optical drive is very seldom in the boot order before the internal HDD/SSD by default.

You don't mention having done this.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:03 PM

Yes, that's right.

I went in and was not able to make changes. Instruction were to use + and - keys, but they were not responsive. Neither was anything else. Note that in the second group, HDD and CD-ROM are reversed from the top group.

1st boot device-----------HDD Group

2nd boot device----------CD-ROM Group

3rd Group------------------Floppy

4th Group------------------Network boot group

>CD-ROM Group boot priority------------------LP DVD-RAM....

>HDD Group boot priority------------------------HDS 721.........

>Floppy Group boot priority---------------------Not installed

>Network Group boot priority-------------------Realtek pxe b04 d09

thank you and if you have any idea the reason I can't make changes please let me know.

Don

#4 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

I got it. More later.

Thank you very much.

#5 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:14 AM

All done. Can't believe I forgot to check boot order.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

In my father's lectures he often stated "when you are up to your ass in alligators it is difficult to remember that you main objective was to drain the swamp". :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I find that any time I'm angry, confused, and/or frustrated are the times when I am most likely to both skip steps and to fail to realize that I've done so.  You're far from alone.

My personal solution is to walk away from the thing I'm trying to do if at all possible and come back later when I'm calm again and can start step-by-step through it all again.  Both computer and automotive repair have the same sort of pressure build up and dissipation for me.  [When I can't walk away I still intentionally shift focus to something else so that I can let go of the thing I'm stuck on.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#8 Old_Feller

Old_Feller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the support guys!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users