Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome has major ads and popups, even on this site

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mstevens7

mstevens7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:04 PM

Good Afternoon,

I am using windows 10 x64 on a laptop.  I currently am a student and am having major issues with my chrome.  Ads are showing up on Chrome and this is taking up my precious study time.  Can you please assist me with fixing my chrome?

Thank you,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

What kind of ads ? full screen pop-ups, etc. ? Run a quick scan with your AV, if you don't have one then install avast. Download and run the following :

https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1-adwcleaner/ 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/293/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/dl/344//

These three combined with your AV are very likely to remove the adware installed in your Chrome. 

If you have any further issues then do not hesitate to reply

Also if you're using free wifi hotspots then use a VPN, I would recommend Windscribe, enter 50GBFREE coupon and you'll get 50 gb / month, that'll probably be enough for your needs.

And install uBO: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 26 August 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#3 mstevens7

mstevens7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

Excellent!  Thank you for the recommendation on the extensions.  I ran all three programs and nothing came up.  I then downloaded Zemana and it found nothing, but when I uninstalled Zemana it did not uninstall everything and I had to go to my registry software locations and remove it... So, while I was there I deleted the registry files that where left from previous programs that I uninstalled.  This seemed to fix my popup issues.  I am really looking forward to seeing how the two extensions work.  

Thank you again for the quick reply, I am hoping all will be well from now on

Matt

#4 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

You're welcome.

So which AV do you use now ? Maybe you didn't set it to detect PUP's ?

If you happen to have one of the popular AV's like Avast, Kaspersky, etc. then chances are that it has installed unwanted bloatware with it. This includes :

browser extensions

VPN's

password managers

"optimizers" of any kind

browsers

I won't go too much into details, but most, if not all of the above mentioned are either useless / have better alternatives / are designed to suck money out of you by any means

You can remove then via programs & features in windows or in the AV's settings.

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 27 August 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:32 PM

It is also probably an Add On in Chrome

Disabling Plugins in Google Chrome

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users