Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't run any application as an administrator

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

In quite a bit of a pickle. Basically, i have an ssd and hdd. I was moving some partitions around with Gparted and all of the letter drives reset. The drive with my program files changed from "Z" to "B." I have this set up in the registry as the program files location and many other locations. Now whenever i run an application that requires admin privileges, it says (pathname) The specified path does not exist. Check the path and then try again. All i need to fix this is a way to change the letter drives back. I cannot open regedit, as that requires admin privileges, the same goes for elevated cmd, diskmgmt.msc, diskpart, etc.

Edited by hamluis, 26 August 2017 - 05:48 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Management - Hamluis.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

Before doing your rearranging...did you follow the suggestion to backup as put forth by Roland Here?

Louis

#3 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

I have backups yes

ooh, i have a signature

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

Will your backups take you back to the working condition prior to your re-arranging partitions and editing the registry's program paths?

If yes, return everything to that working condition.  After you have regained your normal admin rights:

-- ask others here for guidance based on their knowledge and experience; I'll quietly learn alongside you.

If your backups do not return everything to a prior working condition; you might be asked to try Windows Repair (All in One) with certain settings, hopefully to regain Windows control

If the worse possibility comes true:

-- can you verify your Data backups as being restorable?

-- do you have your Windows DVD install and/or Windows Rescue set

Edited by RolandJS, 26 August 2017 - 01:30 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

Will your backups take you back to the working condition prior to your re-arranging partitions and editing the registry's program paths?

If yes, return everything to that working condition.  After you have regained your normal admin rights:

-- ask others here for guidance based on their knowledge and experience; I'll quietly learn alongside you.

If your backups do not return everything to a prior working condition; you might be asked to try Windows Repair (All in One) with certain settings, hopefully to regain Windows control

If the worse possibility comes true:

-- can you verify your Data backups as being restorable?

-- do you have your Windows DVD install and/or Windows Rescue set

The Data backups have all of the data, but will not be usable. Why? because a lot of the things are letter drive reliant. I do not have access to change the letter drive from within windows. I do have a windows dvd install, but no rescue part. I have not been able to change the letter drivers at all. That's all i need. The backups are direct partition copies to another drive but the letters also do not come up right

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 26 August 2017 - 03:45 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#6 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:38 PM

Are there any bootable partition managers that can also change letter drives?

ooh, i have a signature

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

I would suggest the following. Download Lazesoft Password Recovery Home to your desktop and install or you can do it on another computer. Create the bootable disk or USB flash drive. Boot the disk and enable the Hidden Administrator Account. Once that is enabled you should be able to access regedit and change the appropriate keys or change the drive letters in letters in Disk Management. However I am not sure this would be possible on the System partition if that letter has changed as this is in use.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-recover-administrator-password.html

Another way to assign a drive letter to a partition is through diskpart. If you type CMD in the search box and right click Run As Administrator you may be able to reassign the drive letter of the partition.

http://www.disk-partition.com/diskpart/assign-drive-letter-4125.html

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

"...The Data backups have all of the data, but will not be usable. Why? because a lot of the things are letter drive reliant..."  I'm puzzled; how would data folders and files be drive-letter-reliant?  I want to learn this concept from you, thanks!  Hopefully, I can help others in the future by learning from your experience.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:16 AM

"...The Data backups have all of the data, but will not be usable. Why? because a lot of the things are letter drive reliant..."  I'm puzzled; how would data folders and files be drive-letter-reliant?  I want to learn this concept from you, thanks!  Hopefully, I can help others in the future by learning from your experience.

When i was messing with the registry, i changed some locations from C:\... to Z:\.... Now whenever the system tried to access those files, the location doesn't exist. Apparently something i did made running as administrator reliant on the Z drive as well. Because the letter drives weren't set afterwards by me, i couldn't change the registry accordingly. Also i fixed it. I reinstalled windows, took the backup harddrive and just copied the important stuff.

ooh, i have a signature

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

Do a System Restore.  Use a restore point dated prior to editing the registry.

Any time you edit the registry you should first create a new restore point.  This way you can quickly restore Windows to its condition prior to editing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users