Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When gaming quick forced shutdown. Help wanted.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HouseHosted

HouseHosted

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nTHLMtqZCQ4Br1wZxkClbxg

I really don't like that Speccy program. For some reason it makes my touchpad crash... Two restarts just to get here... Anyway...

Hello,

I've got a bleeping computer problem. I appreciate any assistance anyone can offer. I've tried running GPU and CPU stress tests, ran mdsched to check for memory (RAM, right?) problems. I did notice the temperature of the GPU got to about 91 °C before it went ka-ting on the last time I tried to solve this myself. I am traumatized. The scariest thing is having your computer shut off so unexpectedly.

The Windows logs report the same five notes every time: ID 13, 98, 6, 41, and 142... Something to do with a a guy named "watchdog" being triggered. I've looke into it, but can't make heads or tales of the purpose of him. There is a reference to a "npsvctrig," too. Couldn't uncover what that was about either.

The Story:

Tried playing a game called World of Warcraft for the first time and then that happened. This had never happened before in all the time I've sunk into Skyrim. The only changes I can think of is that I'm living in an apartment now. (I had the thought maybe the fluctuating of the power from the elevator might be causing this issue...  So, I've contemplated buying a surge protector.) My laptop has warmed up really hot in the past (due to negligence on my part, which I am not proud of; though, those days are over. I have a cooling pad now, and I'll never go back.

I had been reading online that the issue could be a result of a protective mechanism that Windows takes against something called 'under voltage.' I tried unplugging my AC adaptor. The issue subsequently ceased; that was until I plugged it back in. Within five seconds it shut down. Is it the electricity coming out of the wall, or is it the AC adaptor?

People have written various things from: the motherboard is failing to the heatsink needing a touchup with thermal paste/grease. I'm not opposed to the idea; however, I would greatly appreciate some insight if it comes down to needing to open her up. The last one I thought was curious was someone suggested changing the "Minimum Processor State" in the power plan section. I haven't tried it yet, being traumatized and all.

Hopefully there's a breezy solution, right? I don't want to take it to the shop, but that might have to happen, I guess. Thanks for any help and support, folks.

Attached Files

Edited by HouseHosted, 26 August 2017 - 09:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

What happens with the touchpad when running Speccy (that shouldn't happen, so I consider it a part of the problem that you're having)?

When a computer overheats, there are sensors in the system that will tell the computer to shut down (with no warning).
This is to save the hardware from melting all over your pants (just kidding).  Actually it's a protective measure to keep the hardware from getting damaged.

Now the problem becomes "How to fix it so it doesn't overheat and then shut down?"

So, IMO the first thing is to monitor your temps.  Make sure that you use a good program that includes an alarm when the temps get too high (I suggest SpeedFan or HWMonitor).

Also, the different things that you've seen tried are usually done on desktop systems.  Laptops are usually very limited in what you can do to them.

So, my next question is "Have you invested in a can of canned air?"  Use this to blow out all of the vents.  DO NOT use a vacuum or an air compressor - as they can damage parts inside the case.

The shutdown may have been due to the AC Adapter - but that's going to take a pro to figure out (or you'll have to get very knowledgable about the insides of a laptop).

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 1.90) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.  FYI - there are lot's of Windows Update errors in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Your Toshiba Web Camera is disabled.  Please re-enable it and then update it's drivers.

Once that's done, feel free to disable it again.

FYI - the drivers for this load at boot, then later on the system disables it - leaving the drivers in memory even though it's disabled.

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.
NOTE2:  The latest version has an SPTD2.sys driver - the uninstaller is on the same page as the SPTD.sys driver - just download the version for W10!

If all of this doesn't help, then please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please finish ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 HouseHosted

HouseHosted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:36 PM

Thank you for the advice and recommendations. I'll get to it as soon as I can and write the results.

I still can't help but shake my head at the seemingly peculiar nature of this issue. Like, she didn't even flinch at the warmth she was making when I had it running on battery; conversely, on AC she'd switch off before becoming warm at all. Racks my brain.

#4 HouseHosted

HouseHosted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

ARG! I had it all written out and then I pressed back accidentally.

To do, in order of appearance:

1) Monitor temperatures: Done.

I went and made a video; though, I have no idea what I'm looking at. I did notice the GPU % began to fluctuate. Various sites had different acceptable temperature ranges. The original video was ~18min. There was an option in the BIOS to disable a feature called "Intel Processor Turbo Boost", so I tried it out. Maybe that's the reason for why she lasted so long in this session. I don't know. I've since re-enabed it.

The session itself went for another ~10 seconds. The video, for obvious reasons, wasn't encapsulated properly. If I had a proper video recorder I would have used it instead. Note: This was with the AC plugged in. I could make another for comparing, if you feel that's necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mMPp-VNb25U -- Don't worry about the audio. I mostly just talk about how I think it's been fixed; not to mention, the sound quality is terrible after having to record the recording.

2) Obtain compressed air. Done, though, I wasn't able to remove the back panel. That apparently requires a handheld gadget. I shot it through the vent. If that isn't good enough I can go and order the thing off the Internet.

3) Test AC adapter: I haven't yet taken it down to the shop to have it checked.

4) Update BIOS: Done

5) Update Windows more: Done. I believe all the errors you'd seen were all related to a time when I had to restart Windows a couple times because the updates couldn't be obtained.

6) Update webcam: No updates were available. When I was in the BIOS there was an option to disable it there. This must have been what you were referring to about it being loaded and then disabled regardless. Also, I had had it disabled since purchasing the laptop.

7) Remove sptd.sys driver, dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys: I removed the former and left the last two alone. It didn't seem like a big deal to me, and I've never had issues with DAEMON Tools before.

8) Run various diagnosis tests:

Stressing: I had, prior to all this, used FurMark and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for stress testing. Niether of them gave me a hassle. I had ran them for a couple hours each. I have read guys recommend you run them over night, but I'm pretty hesitant to leave them unattended... With your encouragement I would take the leap of faith on that. Let me know if you have any preferred software.

Malware and Anti-Virus: I have been using Malwarebytes for some time. I've thought it to be a good program. I downloaded Sophos for anti-virus. I ran them both in safe cmd without any hits. I ran RKill too because it's been a favourite of mine for some time. It didn't have any problems.

Memory and hard disk: I downloaded Memtest86 and Ultimate Boot CD. I'm quite tentative to use them. I'd honestly need a step-by-step to trust what I'm doing with these programs. I've seen the option to change boot order in the BIOS; and I've done plenty of configuring of boot order with my XP, but that was with floppys and HDDs. Booting from flash kind of scares me. Also, is mdsched not sufficient for testing memory? I had ran that already with no issue.

Last bit:

Something I have been noticing for some time is that my browser, and only my browser, will at times stutter when scrolling. It'll usually only last eight seconds or so. I had originally thought it was connected to temp files because after extended periods of browsing my touchpad would stop responding altogether for quite lengthy periods; however, following a wipe of all that clutter, the problem is remedied. The former doesn't seem to go away so easily. Not a big issue, but I'm curious as to why it would begin acting this way every once in awhile.

I believe I covered everything. Thanks for all your help so far.

Edited by HouseHosted, 29 August 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

Please uninstall Daemon Tools completely.

If you want to use it, feel free to reinstall it AFTER we're finished troubleshooting.

If running the stress tests overnight makes you hesitant, don't do it.

There are plenty of detailed instructions all around the internet for running MemTest and the hard drive diagnostics.

I believe that my instructions are sufficient to get you started.

Should you still have reservations, I'd suggest bringing the system to a shop to have it tested

I don't trust msched for memory and haven't used it in years.  I haven't done any recent research on it though - mostly when it first came out.

MemTest (and the Prime95 Blend test) are my go to memory tests.  I've been using them for many years and haven't had any problems with them.

With Prime95 you do have to monitor your temps while using it, but otherwise it's safe and easy to use.

What you are describing is (IMO) most likely a hardware problem.

We can also investigate software problems if you'd like.

To do that, wait until the problem recurs, then recover and immediately generate this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.
NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Edited by usasma, 30 August 2017 - 06:09 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 HouseHosted

HouseHosted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:25 AM

I've hit a roadblock with the MemTest86 program. I've made sure Secure Boot is disabled, but all i get is a black screen. There's apparently another feature called Legacy Boot(?) that's supposed to be enabled. I've looked all through my BIOS and haven't found any mention of it. I tried reading up on what it even means, and it's just jibberish to me. Something to do with how Windows is installed, and that some BIOS are only UEFI or BIOS and vice versa. I'm lost, honestly.

It was for the reason I tried learning more about using MemTest in general. They have older releases that say they work with BIOSs that are UEFI BIOSs(?) So, I tried an older version out, but the black screen persists. I know you said you gave sufficient instruction... Maybe a little bit more please!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

Depends on which MemTest86 program that you're using (the naming system used makes it confusing):

- MemTest86 doesn't need any changes to the UEFI

- MemTest86+ does require those changes to the UEFI

So, please verify which MemTest you are using (the page where I put the instructions was just changed, so you may have looked at an older version)

Then verify that you can get to the boot menu on your system.  Speccy suggests that this is a Toshiba system, so tapping F12 when starting the system should get you to the boot menu.

In the boot menu, select the UEFI option for the flash/CD drive that contains MemTest86.

Finally, let us know at which point during all these steps that you end up at the black screen.

#8 HouseHosted

HouseHosted
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:16 PM

Hey there,

All right! So, I apologize for jumping to another solution after all the support you've given me; however, I decided to take it to the shop after repeated failure with MemTest86. That black screen just wasn't very encouraging.

There they indeed came to the conclusion that the girl was too hot and suffering from a possible failing cpu and/or motherboard. Essentially the solder points are presumably no longer as strong as they should, thus leading heat to build up quickly, etc. Electronics 101! Woo! He did clean and reapply thermal paste, but it was too late; although he said she ran for an additional ~10min before falling into the same dangerous temperature zone.

Besides the discovered truth of my dear beloved, I've sure learned a lot from this experience: cmd, along with diskpart, is a breeze, the process of stress testing now makes sense; additionally, how one actually makes it effective, and the importance of system maintenance, ie. cleaning and reapplying thermal paste, removing felt from the fan filter. Those atleast seem to be the most substantial. Funnily enough, the concept of applying thermal paste isn't foreign to me as an experienced 360 owner. Never thought to use that same logic with a computer; go figure.

I picked up a real nifty complimentary program for HWINFO that reads and compares its log files. Haha. The guy at the shop took a look at them and pretty well concluded the issue on the spot... By the way, motherboards are expensive. *sigh* I'm probably not going to be replacing this one. I cannot say with stoicism that her injured state is nothing to me, but what do you do? I just have to accept she'll never play a resource intensive game uninterrupted again... and DAMN is that depressing! Maybe I'll win the lottery, and be able to bring her back from the dead. That would be fantastic!

There's probably more I wanted to write, but can't remember. Thanks for all your help, usasma.. It's been steller working with you. Now on to what to eat for dinner.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:00 AM

No problem with another solution - I'm glad that you found out what the problem was and how to fix it.

Good luck to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users