Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scottintexas

Scottintexas

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

I am running Windows 10 Pro. I created a file with Visual Studio 2013 without realizing I was creating wrong type of project so I was going to redo it after I deleted the folder and contents from the drive. But I cannot delete the files and folder. I don't have permission. I need Administrator Privileges. I am in the Administrators group. I made sure I was logged in. I suppose that even if I am an admin I still cannot do admin things. Like access my own files. I do not have the option (like in Win 7 Pro) to "Run as administrator" the windows explorer. I don't have an admin to consult.

How do I delete my folder? How do I tell the system that I really, really am in the admin group?

Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Can you delete the files in Safe Mode?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:26 AM

But you do have the option to open either Command Prompt or PowerShell with "Run as admin" privilege and try to delete it that way.

It is very odd that you are being forbidden permission to delete a file that you created, that's for sure.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

Thank you, Brian, for the reply. I didn't even think about Powershell or a cmd. I tried with powershell running as an administrator.

This is what I get.

Attached File  Powershell Error.JPG   51.95KB   0 downloads

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

I can't speak to all of it, but I have in the past had instances where the "not empty" error was what was keeping me from deleting a folder and all its contents, including subfolders.

See if you are able to drill down to remove content from any subfolders, at the very least, and the subfolders themselves afterward then see if thing work.

I've never received any adequate explanation as to why one should not be able to blow away a folder with all its subfolders and their contents in specific instances when you have admin privilege, but it's been my direct experience (on Windows prior to Windows 10, haven't yet encountered an instance under 10) that it occurs.

P.S. Should you ever locate that button you're searching for please do share its location.

Edited by britechguy, 26 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.
Added P.S.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:30 AM

Powershell (running as administrator) would not do the job. But the cmd (running as administrator did.

cd "path to directory"

rmdir "Directory to remove" /s

After a prompt for "Are you really really sure you want to do this?" pressing y will do the job. I will always go to the cmd prompt first from now on.

The elusive button is out there. It's kind of like a leprechaun. If you find it and capture it you can be rich.

Edited by Scottintexas, 26 August 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,994 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

If Safe Mode doesn't work for you boot a live linux distro and delete it. You may need to disable SecureBoot.

Another option is to enable the hidden Administrator account that had higher permissions than a regular administrator

.https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2969-enable-disable-elevated-administrator-account-windows-10-a.html

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,119 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

You could probably do the above in PowerShell, too, since I have yet to run into a Command Prompt command (including all switches) that is not aliased in PowerShell.  I do believe that when I made this claim recently someone did uncover at least one, though.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users