Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hurricane Harvey ~ Anyone Close?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:06 AM

YIKES........ What a monster storm!! West coast time 10PM...the news report is category 4, wind 130 MPH!

If you are close to the storm let us know. My heart goes out to everyone evacuating and anticipating the damage and mess ahead. 

It's so scary....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

The world is watching. I'm watching. This tropical storm is simply devastating. 

This is not an advertisement, I have found one way to help with this disaster. No doubt there are others.If you can, please join me:

Donations to assist Hurricane Harvey victims can visit redcross.org or text the word Redcross to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Other important important numbers if anyone needs them:

• 211 for disaster-related information and to get help with unmet needs
  • 800-985-5990, Disaster Distress Helpline
  • 866-720-5721 or 844-889-4357, FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline
  • 800-621-0508, Texas Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotline
  • 800-621-3362, FEMA Disaster Assistance registration (Video Relay Service users call here)
  • 800-462-7585, FEMA Disaster Assistance registration for those with hearing loss or a speech disability

My heart goes out to anyone affected by this catastrophic hurricane.

* CNN Live continues to report breaking news about the storm.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-hurricane-harvey-rain-flood-forecast-texas-louisiana

:love4u:

Self edit to add CNN News

Edited by softeyes, 27 August 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

What a disaster...thousands suddenly turned homeless and with undeterminable futures.

This sort of life-event has several facets.  The TV coverage has been great, except for the few "reporters" asking stupid questions like "How do you feel?" after someone has been forced to evacuate their dwellings and their businesses...literally, their lives up to a given moment in time.  The coordination between the differing levels of municipal, state, and U.S. administration...has been impressive as everyone scrambles to try to provide assistance to victims who had no clue that their lives would become so disrupted in such catacysmic fashion.

A tip of the hat to all First Responders, Red Cross personnel, and those other organizations...who typically help people pick up the pieces of their lives after such has been smashed by "natural disasters".  A tip of the hat to all volunteers locally and extralocally...who give the most important gift of all...to assist those in need.

Tragedies like this...break the heart of anyone with feelings...but these same situations also reveal positive behaviors and actions that many of us never seem to notice, even if it occurs on a daily basis.

Though life is hard for many of us...we cannot imagine how hard life would be without the homes, the infrastructure, the agencies at all levels, the human volunteers...who arise to help overcome the heartbreak of disaster..

Kudos to all who provide any direct and indirect assistance...to those in need.

Louis

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

Pretty stupid question, but where did all that water come from? Is it all rain or did some rivers and dams break loose? I hope everything dries up fast.

#5 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

JOQ: IMO there is never a stupid question, you're brilliant to ask. Below you'll find just a few examples about what's taking place, and reports are being updated by the minute.

<-snip>

Hurricane Harvey is an active tropical cyclone that is causing unprecedented and catastrophic flooding in southeastern Texas. It is the first major hurricane[nb 1] to make landfall in the United States since Wilma in 2005, ending a record 12-year period with no major hurricanes making landfall in the United States. Harvey is also the first hurricane to hit the state of Texas since Ike in 2008, and the strongest to hit the state since Carla in 1961. In addition, it is the strongest hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico since Hurricane Rita in 2005 and the strongest to make landfall in the United States since Hurricane Charley in 2004.

Source Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Harvey

<-snip->

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has activated the entire Texas National Guard, he said today, in response to the "epic and catastrophic" flooding left behind in the southeast part of the state from Hurricane Harvey.

The total number of guardsmen available to the state is roughly 12,000, and all of them will be used in support of recovery efforts in southeast Texas, according to Abbott.

Houston, the country’s fourth largest city, has been inundated with flooding as result of Harvey, which made landfall late Friday as a Category 4 hurricane and lingered as a tropical storm over the weekend.

Full article from ABC (8/28/2107 at 4:45 PM ET): http://abcnews.go.com/US/epic-catastrophic-flooding-devastates-houston-rainfall-forecast/story?id=49462873

These links are really helpful to catch you up on how this catastrophe started:

Hurricane Harvey: What Happened and What's Next: The New York Times Article

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/hurricane-harvey-texas.html?mcubz=0

Why Hurricane Harvey became so extreme: Scientist American

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/hurricane-harvey-became-extreme/

If you have a moment, do a Google search: Hurricane Harvey and you will be able to catch up on the devastation taking place.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

I feel for the people of Texas I know first hand what flooding is like.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

I feel for the people of Texas I know first hand what flooding is like.

As do I, having lived through the Johnstown Flood of 1977 and the storm that caused it.

Houston is in for a long, hard haul after the waters recede and, like New Orleans, will not be the same city afterward even when the active recovery, which will take years, is complete.

Edited by britechguy, 28 August 2017 - 05:07 PM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,906 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

@ Just_One_Question,

I heard on the news this morning on the way in to work, that there were areas that had already gotten 40 inches of rainfall.  That's 3 feet 4 inches of rainfall, and it was and is still raining. I also heard that some places were opening spillways, or whatever they're called, to increase the outflow to reduce the pressure on dams.  There has been so much rainfall in places, the water level is threatening to go over the top of some dams and reservoir holders.

Safe places are no longer safe places, and folks are having to evacuate from those places.  It's a nightmare out there.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

Thank you for the information. I've read up on the Harvey hurricane and also American disasters as a whole and it would appear that the USA has a reoccurring hurricane problem, although one of such magnitude hadn't hit Texas in more than a decade. It also stands to probably become one of the costliest, in terms of recovery price, disasters ever. Let's just hope that more human lifes aren't part of that bill.

By the way, from the photos I've seen, it seems that car mechanics will be the only ones to benefit from this, lol. Also, this hurricane furthered my beliefs that living in a house is not as good, all things accounted for, as living in an apartment block (They appear to be much stronger).

Edited by Just_One_Question, 29 August 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

As an aside, with regard to automobiles, there is no "fixing" a flood vehicle.  They're a total loss, and this evening I heard that the projection is that at least 300K cars are underwater in Houston if not more.

No place could have prepared for what Harvey has brought, and no sane place would try.  This is going to go down in the record books and is probably the 21st century version of the 1900 Galveston hurricane, but with far less loss of life.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

At least someone is having fun with it.

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aXvnKAP_460sv.mp4

#12 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

Edit

Edited by Bezukhov, 30 August 2017 - 02:28 PM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#13 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Brian #7.....On man, what a dreadful time you had to have gone through. This natural disaster has to bring up frightening emotions from 1977 for you?  :( No doubt you have incredible empathy for the current victims, and could offer insight for many, examples how to cope, what resources are most helpful. With your public service sector, I'm sure that you would know how to encourage the victims that their life will be sorted?

JOQ #11....Having fun? You've got to be kidding me. Their water vessel needs to be full of the trapped and desperate victims.

This isn't fun:

8/29/2017: Houston is grappling with a disaster of epic proportions from Hurricane Harvey, as the now-tropical storm continues to dump rain on the region. On Sunday, the death toll rose to eight, including a family of six who drowned in a van while trying to escape the rising water.

Here are just a couple of examples of how heroic citizens with a "boat" are helping:

8/29/2017 All over Houston, you see what is being called the Texas Navy: private citizens pulling their fishing boats behind pickups. They're launching their vessels at the water's edge, which could be anywhere that a street becomes a bayou.

8/29/2017: "I've been able to rescue 10 to 15 people at a time. Yesterday was a very good day. We rescued 53 people into the night," says Ray Ortega, an oilfield tool salesman, who drove up from his home in Victoria pulling a 23-foot fishing boat that he usually uses in the Gulf to go after speckled trout and redfish. Ortega was looking for a place to launch his boat and rescue more people.

Imagine this: 

Texas flood disaster: Harvey has unloaded 9 trillion gallons of water: The Washington Post August 27, 02017...(Not counting today!)

I'm trying to wrap my head around the following from the article: <-snippets->

~The 9 trillion gallons of water dispensed so far is enough to fill the entire Great Salt Lake in Salt Lake City — twice!

~This amount of water could fill 2.3 percent of the volume of the mountain range containing Mount Everest in Nepal 
and is enough to occupy 33,906 Empire State Buildings, from basement to penthouse.

~But here’s the kicker: Just how unprecedented is this? Well, remember the flooding that New Orleans experienced with Hurricane Katrina? Most places saw about 10 to 20 feet of water thanks to levee failure, inundating about 80 percent of the city. Now, if we took the amount of rainfall that Texas has seen and spread it over the city limits of New Orleans, it would tower to 128 feet in height — roughly reaching as high as a 12-story office building.

WOW...

I can't say this better from the same article:

Sometimes, there simply aren’t words. This is entirely uncharted territory. For years, many had watched movies like “The Day After Tomorrow” and thought, “Someday …”

Unfortunately, that day is today. Welcome to the future of weather. Stay safe.

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

I thought Katrina was the worst one and you can tell that some preparations for the future have been probably made, since this one has so far, and hopefully finally, fewer casualties, which is good - you definitely don't want to one-up historical records when it comes to natural disasters. As for the guys having fun, I supposed that they have helped as much as they could in their community prior to that video, as it seems that they are riding on a car, which would suggest that they are farther from the epicenter of the disaster. By the way, it's pretty heartwarming how many people are volunteering their help any time there is such an occurrence in the World.:)

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aq1eM0j_460sv.mp4

#15 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,522 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hey JOQ....trust me, being pulled in a tube behind a speedboat is a blast! :)Right now, my serious evacuation mindset is in overdrive, thus my response. I had to evacuate my house during the San Diego Cedar fire October in 2003. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Fire_(2003) Hmm....I guess we found fun trying to keep the kids from freaking out. Bingo, cards, wine...anything to distract from the fear of losing our lives, homes and possessions. Thank heavens in my case my house was saved by firefighters. Harvey reminds me of fight and flight.

Hmm...what the heck, at this point, it won't hurt me to chill out about Harvey. Let me remember how much fun I had when I was the same age as the guys in your clip! 

No doubt there are a lot of stories in BC about how people have had fun in spite of a disaster. Why not turn the serious around and have some fun sharing. Right!

:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users