Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decent backdoor surge protection for coaxial ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

I live in an area that seems to have more than average power outages (I blame Rhode island drivers for hitting poles) Either way I have lost two cable modems to surges along the cable line. at this point I have a UPS system but the problem is that my modem for some reason refuses to connect across the APC's coaxial port. Apearantly this is a known issue with coaxial surge protection so I was wondering if anyone can recomend a inline surge protector that is specifically for coaxial cables and will not impede my modem's network connection

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

There are available surge protection power strips that have both phone and coaxial terminations for their protection.  The important thing to remember is that in the event a surge should happen, the device now becomes "unusable" as it has done its job.  Unfortunately, surge protectors are a "one shot" deal.  They will destroy themselves to protect your gear but are then worthless.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

There are available surge protection power strips that have both phone and coaxial terminations for their protection...They will destroy themselves to protect your gear but are then worthless.

That is monies well spent, because the material "to the right" of the surge strip is saved.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

See the thing is I have several power strips with coax connections but the problem is that they ALL interfere with the operation of my cable modem even my APC UPS which was quite expensive and should have had good protection completely blocks the signal to my modem. I am looking for a coaxial surge protector that is specifically designed for optimal performance of a cable modem and need product recommendations that meet these requirements. Standard power strips with Coax connections do not work properly with high speed cable modems Usually one of two things happens either it cannot connect or i loose about 100mbps off my max speed from 300 down to 200

Edited by mikeloeven, 03 September 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

I have no experience with the following but it does mention cable modems. 

https://www.amazon.com/TII-Technologies-212FF75F225-21-Connector-Lightning/dp/B0016AIYU6

Edit: But this would also lower you connectivity too.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/What-about-cable-surge-protectors/td-p/973347

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 September 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

"...Standard power strips..."  If you find what you're looking for, please post the manufacturer, model name and number, I will be interested in bookmarking same for future purchase.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users