Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Volume Information is Corrupt, Bit of a read.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vancer2

Vancer2

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

This is a bit of a read so Ill tell you what I know.

I turned on my laptop to connect to the wifi and and my Laptop froze, I was greeted by a BSOD and and booting into a BSOD loop. System repair came up with "System volume information is corrupt"

Couldnt fix it, nothing. I just installed windows 7 Home onto a 500GB SSD. Now bought a docking station to hook the old HDD into to retrieve files and load the registry hive. I coped over the folders that I wanted from the hard drive that I had wanted. None of the ones that would obviously crash it. Hers where it gets interested. I loaded the Registery hive and exported just the Software portion under the imported registry so I could just copy the folders that contained my games without simply reinstalling them. I don't know what caused the system file corruption in the first place on the original HDD. Importing just the Circled part in the uploaded picture provided caused the same BSOD followed by the BSOD bootloop that I had first experienced. I want to know how to fix the registry so I can import it without going through this again.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:55 PM

- Do you REALLY think that simply copying a part of the registry would enable you to fix the problem ? Because the HD could have developed some "bad spots" and that part of the registry could have been placed on those same "bad spots" and corrupted that hive. Do you have any evidence that that hive wasn't corrupted ?

- Run GSmartControl on your old HD and post a screenshot of the "Attibutes" tab. How many pink lines show up ?

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

#3 Vancer2

Vancer2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:57 AM

I have attached the file. And according to the picture. No pink lines.

Attached Files

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=corrupt+registry+windows+7&oq=corrupt+registry&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0l4.2856.6353.0.9745.16.16.0.0.0.0.119.1417.11j4.15.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.15.1410...0i131k1.iNBCbOXEsXI

Louis

#5 Vancer2

Vancer2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

I need to have it noted that I cannot boot from the hard disk in the first place, that is why it is a docking station.  I cannot get into safe mode. With it plugged into the laptop either.  I will try booting from the Installation media.

Edited by Vancer2, 26 August 2017 - 07:23 AM.

#6 Vancer2

Vancer2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

I am trying to repair from the system disk but it says

"The System Recovery Option is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair"

I should note im using a USB to try and repair.

Edited by Vancer2, 26 August 2017 - 11:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users