Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ClamAV & ClamTK : unable to update to newer version or virus database

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Hi all, I installed ClamAV & ClamTK by following the instructions supplied on the Linux mint Forums : https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=123127.

I did so as I would like to see if it can detect and clear and issue that I have with an external HDD. The issue is that every file that I transfer to the external HDD has it's permissions changed so that all groups have read & write capabilites as well as the box for allowing the file to execute as a program being checked. I am not able to alter these settings whilst the file remains on the external HDD (i.e if I uncheck the box that allows the file to execute as a program it simply checks the box again immediately, same for the permissions).

I should also mention that I did try to resolve the issue by removing the files and performing a format of the external HDD with no success and that the issue seesm to be specific to the external HDD that has the WAV files stored on it (other external HDD do not display this issue when plugged in to my desktop). The files are WAV files that were purchased and downloaded from Beatport, so not from some dodgy file sharing site.

Anyway....after installing ClamAV & ClamTK I attempted to update the virus database but received an "update failed" message with no other useful information (see attached screenshot). Looking at the GUI it seems as though I do not have the virus signature database as when I attempt to scan a file I receive a no files scanned message. I can see a message (see attached screenshot) that states that there is a newer version available but cannot see how I would upgrade to it.

Could someone please help with resolving the issue with ClamAV so that I can scan the external HDD or perhaps offer an alternative way to resolve the issue.

Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by Agent_Orange, 25 August 2017 - 08:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:15 AM

Agent_Orange, here's the link where you can download the latest ClamTK (ClamAV will be installed/upgraded along with it). :)

That's a much older version of ClamTK in the snapshot, at least by 5 years, some of these apps in the repos aren't kept updated, nor does the OS updates bring these to the latest. This would be like running a 2012 version of Windows security, even if there's a successful definition update, the software & protection itself is very dated. While ClamTK or ClamAV isn't active protection, still best to keep up to date, you can ignore warning at install able an 'older' version in the software manager & install, using your password. 

You may access the latest version for your OS below. :)

https://dave-theunsub.github.io/clamtk/

BTW, the link above isn't working on my end, so can't see the content. Yet am assuming you're running Linux Mint, hopefully a supported version, if so, here's the direct link for Mint 17 or 18, taken from the above page.

Debian/Ubuntu deb

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,068 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

To update AV Database open terminal and type.

sudo freshclam 

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

Hi Cat1092 & NickAu, thanks for your help guys.

Cat1092, I tried the link that you supplied for the latest version of ClamAV and also found it not to be working so I gave up on ClamAv and took a look aroud the forum....

I came across this : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/646992/antimalware-for-linux-mint/page-3?hl=%2Bbrowser+%2Bprotection#entry4290498 and have decided to give the Comodo product a try. At this point I have successfully installed it and am in the process of updating the database.

As I am not going to continue with ClamAV the questions I have about it can be considered answered and this post can now be closed.

Thanks again to Cat1092 & NickAu for their time and assiatnce.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

The problem with permissions on the external HDD would be related to the file system you formatted the HDD with. This happens with Windows file systems, e.g. NTFS. The external HDD would have to be formatted with a Linux file system, e.g. ext4, to keep the permissions intact.

#6 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hi Al1000, thanks for your help!

Armed with the information that you provided I should now be able to sort the issue out.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

Agent_Orange, you're welcome! :thumbup2:

Glad that you found a solution that meets your needs, as many in the last 2-3 years has questioned the effectiveness of ClamTK anyway. :)

It's been some years back, has Comodo AV on one of my Linux Mint installs years ago. Unfortunately, wasn't on a powerful computer & caused too much resource usage, so never bothered again. Will have to give it another shot. 

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users