Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive - Where to Install Windows

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

It appears I need some help.

I purchased a replacement hard drive for my original one which has failed. I've install the physical drive in the case and ensured all the cables were secure.

I have inserted my original and genuine Windows 7 SP1 disk in my DVD and powered up.

The computer booted to the Windows 7 installation dialogue. With ease I went through the first couple steps.

I am now at "Where do you want to install Windows?"

I have two disk 0 (the new drive) entries in the list, along with the two other hard drives I have installed.

Disk 0     Unallocated Space          2048.0 GB     2048.0 GB

Disk 0     Unallocated Space          1678.0 GB     1678.0 GB

I don't know what I did to get two entries. I hope this doesn't affect the efficiency or capacity of accessible space.

When I click on either of the two disk 0 entries, and press {next} to advance the installation process, I get an error.

"Setup was unableto create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See Setup log files for more information."

I don't know what to do to partition the drive to hold windows 7, or how to get beyond this error.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

After I disconnected my other two drives,I was able toget past the error.

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Just as a reminder for future installs or reinstalls, always unplug all other drives before doing it. I've forgotten and had both drives reformatted and lost a lot of data.

#4 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

Just as a reminder for future installs or reinstalls, always unplug all other drives before doing it. I've forgotten and had both drives reformatted and lost a lot of data.

Precisely, it would be a best practice to install only the new hard drive then make a partition and install the OS in one of the partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users