Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Browser protections for malicious scripts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thommo14

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

I have been using Firefox for years with Adblock Plus and NoScript and have enjoyed the peace of mind the latter gives me when it comes to protection from malicious scripts.

The most recent build of Firefox regularly crashes for me which is annoying to the point where I'm considering switching to Chrome. I know Adblock Plus is available, but as far as a NoScript alternative is concerned, it's proving more difficult. I would appreciate if someone could offer advice on such alternatives.

Is a script blocking extension even required? I am pretty careful when it comes to where I go on my Windows 10 browser, but drive-by malware is always a concern. I keep everything up to date and questionable sites are always browsed on a tablet, just in case.

Thanks in advance for your input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 705 posts
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

If you like firefox but it's giving you trouble download Comodo Ice dragon. It's an exact clone of firefox, uses the same addons with almost no problems. Some here swear by Google Chrome, I'm not a fan myself. It just depends on what one is used to using. For firefox UBlock origin is the best ad blocker out there.

Edited by HyperHenry, 25 August 2017 - 07:49 PM.

#3 dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

For firefox UBlock origin is the best ad blocker out there.

not just for FF.

uBlock Origin is available for most browsers (certainly for Slimjet, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Waterfox which I've recently all been playing with).

it certainly rates higher in my books than AdBlockPlus since ABP sold its soul and allowed paid-for ads to get though.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

I think that it is a waste of time to play around fixing each site you visit when NoScript corrupts them. It does a very good job at blocking *almost* all threats that can come in through your browser, but it is an overkill - assuming that you are not intentionally browsing potentially dangerous sites then chances that you'll be hit with a working exploit are very, very low.

If you migrate to Chrome then it's even lower, it has a better built-in security than FF. Also consider switching to uBO as dropbear mentioned, it is better than ABP (faster, more functions)

Do you have a reliable antivirus ? If you do then chances that you'll get infected by hitting an exploit while using Chrome + uBO are second to none these days.

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 26 August 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#5 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,742 posts
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

ESET Antivirus (and Smart Security) also includes script-based attack protection which protects against javascript in web browsers and Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI) protection against scripts that try to exploit Windows PowerShell.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users